Driver, Virus, HD, BIOS, DOS HELP ME

bigmanjason

okay so my friend at work asked me to fix his

9150 dell desktop

with a western digital hard drive WD Caviar 1600

Okay when i got the computer it would load windows and not load explorer. So after it loaded, i opened task manager and directed it to explorer where i could use windows fine. While using windows, i was not allowed adminastrater options because of a virus that was on the computer. It also prevented me from installing nortan antivirus.

Sorry for this link to another site but it is the one i used to work on this computer.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic31163.html

Mainly i followed what post #9 states.

I made a bootable cd and deleted all the files that i thought where dirty. In my doing so i earased dnsapi and mswsock both .dll and both needed for windows. So now when i turn on the computer windows wont start b/c there is no dnsapi file. I cannot do anything from this spot.

I went to go use my bootable cd, and now it wont boot. And i cannot figure out why. In Bios is reads the Hard Drive fine but if i get to DOS using my windows XP cd, then it cannot find the HD. I tried to reinstall windows but it cannot find the HD now. But it will still boot to "windows cannot find dnsapi.dll"

So i have tried and tried to make a slipstream CD that will install a driver for the HD. I have serisouly burned 25 cd's in the past week trying to do this. I give up. When i try to load a SATA driver using F6 and my XP cd, it wants a floppy in the floppy drive. I have even hooked up a floppy to find that it still wont work.

Could someone tell me if a USB floppy would work as a floppy and be able to read it and install the driver? Could someone maybe make me a CD IMG ISO or whatever it is called that will install the driver for me? Is there another way i can fix this without reinstalling windows? He wants all his pictures and music from the HD so is there a way to keep them?

So basicly all i need is to get the HD working again and i will be able to install nortan and check everything.

I don't know your Dell 9150 and I'm missing information about the hardware. Of course I could search for it, but so can you. So just in general, there are several possibilities:

Possibility 1: Slipstream a CD/DVD with Ryan VM Integrator or nLite, followed by running DriverPack Base to integrate MassStorage DriverPack (see http://www.driverpacks.net/DriverPacks/) in which case you don't need to press F6 nor need a floppy. You even don't need to bother what driver the Dell needs.

For other possibilities you need to look up (manual/Dell-website/google) which controller your Dell uses and download the appropriate driver.

Possibilty 2: Slipstream a CD/DVD with nLite and integrate the driver (IE for Intel see http://www.msfn.org/board/Integration-of-I...e-t107504.html).

For the next possibility you need to find out if the Dell can boot from USB floppy. If it can you'll most likely will have access to it when installing Windows. In this case:

Possibility 3: create a driver disk with the appropriate driver for the Dell's hardware, boot from Windows CD and press F6 when Windows asks for it.

Hope it helps. Good luck!

First, can't help in reference to SATA drives (don't have) but I have seen somewhere references to a BIOS setting. With that in mind, it could be the reason a Bootable XP CD doesn't see it. Also, put the appropriate SATA drivers on a Floppy as that's where a Standard Bootable XP CD expects to find them.

Second, any CD burned for your purpose may be burned at too high of a speed, hence "unreadable".

Third, this topic should have maybe been put here -

http://www.msfn.org/board/Malware-Preventi...urity-f114.html