biosinfo.inf missing or corrupt

hi i am using windows xp pro and i have a problem when i attempt to start up my windows xp

i get the error message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing

or corrupt:

\WINDOWS\inf\biosinfo.inf

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup

using the original Setup CD-ROM.

Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

This happened after i installed service pack 2.

I then uninstalled service pack 2 in the recovery console yset i still get the same error when starting up (just before the windows xp loading screen).

If anyone can help me on fixing this error message i would be very grateful

Thank You in advance.

Did you install the Service Pack 2 for 64bit? I almost installed a 32bit SP2 on 64bit XP yesterday.

hey thanks for the reply. hmmm im not sure about that how can i find out what xp and sp2 i have? and if they are different is there anything i can do about it?

Edited by harriskhan

Well the SP2, did you get it from Windows Update, or run it separately, or from a CD? If you ran just the actual file, it will have "-x64" instead of "-x86" in the filename. I didn't actually install the 32bit Sp2 myself, one of my co-workers saved me from that. So I don't know if the 32bit would error out saying it was not supported, or if it would just install anyways.

Either way, since you removed it I don't know if it even matters now. You can try to run the recovery console and restore the affected file from your original OS CD... that is if your admin account has a password.

Well the SP2, did you get it from Windows Update, or run it separately, or from a CD? If you ran just the actual file, it will have "-x64" instead of "-x86" in the filename. I didn't actually install the 32bit Sp2 myself, one of my co-workers saved me from that. So I don't know if the 32bit would error out saying it was not supported, or if it would just install anyways.

Either way, since you removed it I don't know if it even matters now. You can try to run the recovery console and restore the affected file from your original OS CD... that is if your admin account has a password.

i just downloaded it from soft32.com im not sure which one it was. How do i replace it using the cd?

sorry i dont think anybody read that because i put an accidental quote after it.

I read it. I wouldn't trust any Windows patches not acquired from Microsoft.com. Why did you opt to get it from a third party website?