.avi plays fine on XP 64, but not Vista 64?

MageJubi

After wearing out my eyeballs looking and finding tons of info that eventually didn't help, I decided to inquire directly. My weather cams save time lapses as .avi, which are then converted with UltraFlash to .swf before being uploaded to my site. There are no issues with XP64, but there are with Vista64, I get the ever popular

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or a required codec might not be installed on your computer."

Of course, .avi is listed in the WMP file list as a standard file, and it's box is checked. The same lapse.avi opens and runs fine on XP 64, but not Vista 64. I tried ALL the available codec packs, but to no avail. Perhaps some small thing has been overlooked? I don't use WMP or any player per say. My .avi's are automatically dropped into UltraFlash each morning for conversion to .swf, then uploaded to the site. I rarely watch them unless there was a problem during recording. It was UltraFlash that alerted me to the problem on the first conversion attempt saying there was codec issues--then I tried to play the file via WMP--no go. (I've been switching over to Vista64, and, after the driver disabling episode, had the machine 99.99% ready to go--until this glitch) Any ideas? Thanks.

Well, not entirely sure (yet) why it's failing the codec, but try downloading something like Media Player Classic and try opening the file - if it opens, you'll know the codec you need is installed properly and working. If not, then that'll at least point to a codec issue that can be further traced down.

Downloaded and ran MPC. Same results--codec issues. I have Vista 64 with SP1, and one without SP1. They are on seperate machines. Test results are the same for both rigs. The .avi will not run on either. I downloaded an .avi clip from the web, and again, got the same results. One rig has most of that annoying stuff disabled (like defender, uac, etc), while the other does not. I ran search on my XP 64 rig for "codec", and got flooded with results. A similar search on Vista 64 came up "0". (Thanks for the quick response too.)...(A later test shows it will run .wmv files, so it's not totally doa--but still no .avi's)

Edited by MageJubi

Problem solved, but what a pain in the rear end. After the tons of codec packs downloaded and installed--and none actually working, it came down to installing one lonely item-- Ligos Indeo Codec 5.11. A measly 1.97mb file (iv5setup.exe), that once installed, eliminated all the headaches. MP 11 started playing the .avi right away, and UltraFlash converter ran as it should. I installed CodecInstaller first to see what was actually showing up--the machine was full of stuff, including the .avi compressor--it just needed that particular codec to run... Sheesh, what else did the "minds" at MS leave out of Vista? :wacko:

Problem solved, but what a pain in the rear end. After the tons of codec packs downloaded and installed--and none actually working, it came down to installing one lonely item-- Ligos Indeo Codec 5.11. A measly 1.97mb file (iv5setup.exe), that once installed, eliminated all the headaches. MP 11 started playing the .avi right away, and UltraFlash converter ran as it should. I installed CodecInstaller first to see what was actually showing up--the machine was full of stuff, including the .avi compressor--it just needed that particular codec to run... Sheesh, what else did the "minds" at MS leave out of Vista? :wacko:

Everything - otherwise, the EU sues them for inclusion. Heck, I'm surprised some notepad vendor hasn't sued for the inclusion of a notepad program. But seriously, good job, glad to see you figured it out ;).