Partitiion Question?

itzbinnice

Have a friend of mine coming over tomorrow and needs help with his PC.

He has a Dell Notepad that came with a 30 gig drive and Win XP Pro loaded. He is using it for business as well, and we need to load Win 98 as a second OS since some business apps he needs won't run on XP.

Here is what I plan to do.

Use Fdisk and partition the drive into two drives, one 20 gig, and the second 10 gig for his business apps. I will format the 10 gig as d: with fat 32.(for Win 98)

I will format c: with NTFS for Win XP.

I will install Win 98 first to the D: drive

Then install XP on C: drive.

After reading the boards and articles I have I am confused on one issue. One article states "the fat 32 partition almost always is the first partition on the disk". I want XP to be the first partition and show as C:

Please advise if I will have any problems installing the way I have outlined. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

[b:995b38e943]itzbinnice[/b:995b38e943] - your plan is almost good, but you can not have 98 on anything besides the c: drive. It wasnt meant to be installed on anything else. So make c: your 10 gig fat 32 and d: 20 gig NTFS. Do your fdisk and format both partitions, make sure you make c: the active partition when doing fdisk and after your done install 98 then install XP second. Before you start you best fin dout what model laptop he has and research for the drivers that will work in 98 for his hardware or you will be in deep s***. Good luck]

-XPerties

Xperties,

Thanks for the tips, I would have gotten into deep pooh without them.

The article should have specified that Win 98 must be on the C drive instaed of saying most times it goes on the C.

As for the drivers for the laptop I never gave it any thought and am grateful you brought the issue up. Your advise is appreciated.

Xperties

Yeah, it's a few weeks old, a Dell Inspiron or Inspiration? I beleive, cost him 3,200 and I **** sure don't want to screw it up.He has no clue of what to do with computers, just one step below me. The blind leading the blind.

Should we need anything I can connect to Dell with my computer.

Many thanks again.

[b:654e64817e]itzbinnice[/b:654e64817e] - one thing you might want to think about. If you format the XP drive NTFS - you will not be able to see it or access the files o it with Win98. So if you need to use the file on the XP drive when you are in Win98 - you need to use XP's Fat32.

LS

[b:4decf590c3]barnettrp[/b:4decf590c3]

Try this link. I followed these instructions to get 98 on a Win2000 system but they should work for XP as well.

http://content.techweb.com/winmag/windows/...oot/default.htm

hope it help.... LS

LS Dragons, read the announcements, we recently allowed active linking - AaronXP - Admin[/color:4decf590c3]

LSDragons

Yes we thought about that and ended up Partitioning into 3 drives, the third was partitioned for 5 gigs at Fat 32 for a large share folder where both the XP NTFS and the Win98 partitions can use it.

Thanks for mentioning it though.