Zyxel ADSL2+ 4-port router issues

Hello,

I have a Zyxel P-660H-T1 v2 ADSL2+ 4-port Gateway router... I've been using this device for the past 2 months without any problems -- that is, until about 2 weeks ago...

Problem #1:

As I was surfing the net, I noticed my connection was suddenly cut-off. I logged into the Web Configurator UI and noticed that there was no WAN Port IP address assigned (0.0.0.0) from my ISP... Hmm, no WAN IP address -- made perfect sense as to why I was unable to browse the web even though my DSL status = UP. So I powered-off the device and then back on. After doing this, I was able to browse the web. Moments (or hours) later, no internet again... This behavior has occured on and off, for the past two weeks.

Any ideas to what might be causing this? Telephone Exchange? ISP? a faulty NIC or is my Zyxel device "defective"?

Problem #2:

As if Problem #1 wasn't bad enough, here is Problem #2...

About a week ago, the device "powered itself off" and then back on all of a sudden. :blink: WTF?! I have to admit, I've never seen anything quite like it... This "odd" behavior occured intermittently at first, but then it got to the point where the device would turn itself off and on every few hours. After searching the web for a viable solution, I decided to "reset" the device (to factory defaults). At first, this seemed to have solved the issue, but after 2-3 days, the problem resurfaced again... ARRGGHHH. :realmad:

What could be causing this? I'm beginning to think the device itself may be "defective". Btw, the device is already running the latest firmware version. This is driving me nuts! Any solutions and/or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Any ideas to what might be causing this? Telephone Exchange? ISP? a faulty NIC or is my Zyxel device "defective"?

Most such intermittent connection issues I've seen were due to faulty routers, but it could be a few other things.

What could be causing this? I'm beginning to think the device itself may be "defective". Btw, the device is already running the latest firmware version. This is driving me nuts! Any solutions and/or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Faulty routers often do this (reboot) a lot too... That, combined with the first problem, makes me think it's most likely the router.

Personally, I'd jut pickup a Linksys WRT54GL (not G or GS) and put a good 3rd party firmware on it like DD-WRT or Tomato.

Call your ISP and say "I have an intermittent connection problem, please can you perform a test on the line". They will and if it is faulty they will replace it.

Otherwise the problem is more as Crahak describes it.

Thanks

Call your ISP and say "I have an intermittent connection problem, please can you perform a test on the line". They will and if it is faulty they will replace it.

I thought about that too when I read "problem 1". But that wouldn't explain the router rebooting...

Thanks for the suggestions, guys !!

UPDATE:

As mentioned in my first post, having "reset" the router (to factory defaults) several days ago, Problem #1 seems to have disappeared (or so I thought). I have only encountered the no WAN IP (0.0.0.0) issue just once since then.

As for the router rebooting itself, well, resetting the device seems to have fixed it (at first), but it happened again (last night) while I was downloading... I've also read on several forums that random (router) reboots may occur from time to time -- especially during hi-speed file transfers. Don't know if this is true or not... Can anybody verify this?

FYI - I have a 2048/512 adsl connection (router PPPOE). Device System Mode is set to "Routing" not "Bridged". I don't have any issues with the DSL connection itself -- good speeds 24/7. So the only conclusion I could think of is that the device itself is "defective".

P.S. - Just as I was finishing typing this post, guess what?! The **** router rebooted itself again!!! :blink: And no, I wasn't downloading or browsing the web (idle connection). That's two random reboots in a 12-hour period. Something is definitely wrong here...

I don't think I've ever seen a router that used to work fine and then started acting up like this (especially rebooting like that) ever be fixed by reflashing/resetting to factory defaults. 99% of the time it's the hardware itself. The problem will only get worse with time (more frequent crashes/reboots). Consumer routers going bad like that is very common...

I'd be shopping around for a WRT54GL. It's the best router you can buy (unless you're willing to spend a LOT more than that). I just bought another one for a neighbor just last week (who was having the exact same issues as you) for about $50. Reflash it with DD-WRT or Tomato and you're set. It's totally hassle-free, it just works. Tons of features & options.

@crahak:

My Zyxel router is still under warranty. If these problems persist, I'll have no other choice but to exchange it for a new one. I will also take a look at the Linksys WRT54GL as well. I have a few friends who use Linksys with little or no problems. Will keep my options open :)

@eyeball:

The router is already running the latest firmware version. I've already performed a Line Quality Test when I first got my adsl connection. No (serious) issues from what I can tell of the report, except high latency/ping times (300-350ms). I could post the results if you wish... Perhaps I should request my ISP to perform one, just in case...

Yes, a LOT of them fail like this under warranty. And indeed, they'll take it back, and most of the time they'll hand you a equally defective unit as a replacement (they don't hand out new ones, but refurbs), which will do the same thing out of the box, or will start to act up within a couple of weeks. I've seen people throw away routers still under warranty like that (often after exchanging it once or twice), because it just wasn't worth the hassle. The overall quality of consumer routers these days is abysmal. They're made from cheap "barely sufficient" parts with a very low tolerance to anything, cutting corners everywhere, poorly cooled, and assembled very cheaply, supplied with poor quality power adapters and all that. I've long stopped being surprised when I see yet another one fail.

High latency isn't due to line quality/condition.

If i had to recommend another router i too would say a WRT54G with Tomato firmware. Iv been running mine now for a long time and it never fails and the configurability of it is nothing short of amazing for a home class router. However if you are happy enough to just get a replacement from Zyxel then do that. Its up to you.

Yes, a LOT of them fail like this under warranty. And indeed, they'll take it back, and most of the time they'll hand you a equally defective unit as a replacement (they don't hand out new ones, but refurbs),

Refurbs... hmm... I guess I'm better off sticking with the one I've got then. But seriously, I'll be looking at Linksys as a potential replacement. Been doing some research on Linksys ever since I've had issues with Zyxel.

High latency isn't due to line quality/condition.

Yes. It seems I'm behind a "proxy" and my connection is probably being routed everywhere. But good speeds nevertheless. :P

would say a WRT54G with Tomato firmware.

Not to be contradictory, but definitely NOT!!!!!!!

G=crippled

GS=nearly as bad

The old G versions like you probably have were good (e.g. v4) but now they're crippled. The current versions (v8.x) are a pain to flash (using vxworks killer, and you must upload firmware via tftp), and have so little memory that Tomato won't even run on it, only the micro builds of DD-WRT will (they only got 2MB of flash), and even then... You can't replace the antennas on the G either.

You most definitely want the GL version, which is exactly the same as the old G before it started sucking.

Here's another update...

Well, it's been exactly 1-hour since the last "random reboot"... You guessed it folks, the router just rebooted itself AGAIN. :realmad: I've just about had it with this thing! I guess it's time to replace it... And if the replacement unit doesn't work, I'll get myself a Linksys as recommended here (and elsewhere).

Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it!

would say a WRT54G with Tomato firmware.

Not to be contradictory, but definitely NOT!!!!!!!

G=crippled

GS=nearly as bad

The old G versions like you probably have were good (e.g. v4) but now they're crippled. The current versions (v8.x) are a pain to flash (using vxworks killer, and you must upload firmware via tftp), and have so little memory that Tomato won't even run on it, only the micro builds of DD-WRT will (they only got 2MB of flash), and even then... You can't replace the antennas on the G either.

You most definitely want the GL version, which is exactly the same as the old G before it started sucking.

I have a WRT54G Ver2 and it is perfect. There is a LOT of traffic passing through it. 100 Gig a month sometimes and its absolutely fine. I dont know what bad experiences you have had with them but i :wub: love mine lol