Printer install on 2003r2 network

Hi There - just checking the best way to attach an ethernet printer (HP) to a (domain based) network consisting of a server (running server 2003r2) and 10 workstations (all xppro)......networked via a switch.

Is installing local to the server best (ie plug printer into switch, then install printer as local printer on the server via the tcpip port), then installing on each workstation as a network printer?

thanks

Thata what i would do. There is also a role in R2 that deals with printers. Also check out the active directory options for pushing out printers. Then at last, there are allways startup scripts you can run at logon to add the printer to your clients. I cant point you in the right idrection because im on my bb and have no resources in front of me atm.

Thanks for replys guys .........I installed the printer OK, on the server............then logged on to a workstation (as administrator) and added the printer as a network printer.

Then I logged on as a user (there are 12 user accounts) - and the printer wasn't showing.........what is the easiest way to push the printer out to all 12 users? thanks

Thanks for replys guys .........I installed the printer OK, on the server............then logged on to a workstation (as administrator) and added the printer as a network printer.

Then I logged on as a user (there are 12 user accounts) - and the printer wasn't showing.........what is the easiest way to push the printer out to all 12 users? thanks

Hi,

If you add the printer this way it's USER based. So won't display for all users. You could push out a batch file via group policy to install it?

Eg:

"

@echo off

rem * Deletes printer (so no duplicates everytime *

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /q /dl /n "printer name"

rem ** Adds printer *

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /if /b "name you want to give printer" /f "path of printer driver" /r "\\server\printersharename" /m "exact name of driver used on server (in right click properties, advanced, driver" /z

"

Hope this helps.

Edited by ethos