No CD and CRW drives after the installation of XP SP3

Aloha

After the installation and rebooting, my computer has no CD and CRW drives any more! Everything else is OK. Does anyone know what causes this problem and how to fix it? I guess my computer is too old/weak to have SP3. If there is no solution, I think I will have to uninstall it soon.

I am rather bad at searching. If this problem has been posted somewhere, please give me the link to it. Many thanks in advance!

PS. I don't see any differrences between SP2 and SP3 except this problem! And it looks a little uglier because the pack I installed has been lost.

Edited by Aloha

I haven't come across that issue before. Do they exist in Disk Management (Right click My Computer > Manage > Disk Management)?

As for the appearance. I'm pretty sure that SP3 updates UXTheme.dll so you will need to patch it again (I assume that you were using a non-signed theme and its now reverted to 'classic theme'). Most of the changes in SP3 are 'behind the scenes' and are not meant to make any UI changes.

I haven't come across that issue before. Do they exist in Disk Management (Right click My Computer > Manage > Disk Management)?
JedMeister, did you mean Device Manager?

I tried deleting them and then let Windows detect them again but it couldn't help.

As for UXTheme.dll, I did patch it again. I mean the Vista icons I got from a modified pack have gone. If this problem can be solved, I will reinstall the pack. Thanks for you reply.

Edit: removing the picture.

Edited by Aloha

If you used a program to make it look like vista, then most likely you'll have to reinstall the program as files like shell32.dll are overwritten.

shell32.dll contains many of the ui icons.

also, he really meant disk management, not device manager. right-click on my computer --> manage --> disk management.

Spacesurfer, thank you for the information on Shell32.dll.

also, he really meant disk management, not device manager. right-click on my computer --> manage --> disk management.
Not only my computer but also my eyes have problems! I must have them checked too! Sorry for that! I've just checked the Disk Management. The CD and CRW drives are not there. What should I do now?

After the installation and rebooting, my computer has no CD and CRW drives any more! Everything else is OK. Does anyone know what causes this problem and how to fix it?
I do not know what a CRW drive is nor how much one weighs, but perhaps the devices were stolen when you were not looking.

I do not know what a CRW drive is nor how much one weighs, but perhaps the devices were stolen when you were not looking.
It is the drive I use to burn CDs. They are still there in my computer, but Windows doesn't detect them correctly. So I can't use them any more. I am at home now with my computer. Why do you think the devices were stolen? It sounds very funny. And do you have any hints about my problem, Ascii2? Thanks if you can help.

Hmm, so from your comments it seems that they exist in Device Manager but not in Disk Manager? Got me stumped. I was hoping that it would show in Disk Management but not Explorer, I've encountered that before. This one I haven't come across before and I'm not sure at all.

Sorry :(

seems to be a driver issue. maybe, somehow an update to the newer drivers caused an incompatibility with your CD -ROM drive.

It has nothing to do with computer being too old/weak, I think, since windows supports all kinds of CD/DVD drivers without additional drivers.

If you're up for the challenge, try slipstreaming SP3, then installing it fresh and see if your drives are still not detected.

that is not the case as he posted (and later took down) an image which showed his drives in device manager with the yellow caution exclamation points. obviously windows can see they are there but aren't able to utilize them--most likely because of driver problem.

try right clicking on them in device manager and see it it's due to irq conflict (i don't know much about that but play around in the right click menu).

I assume that you have a... not so good CD burning software *cough* Roxio... *cough* EzCD Creator

This would be due to the Upper and Lower filters of the drives being corrupted.

Open REGEDIT, and go here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

delete the listings for LowerFilters as well as UpperFilters.

Go back to device manager, uninstall both CD drives then choose to detect hardware changes.

*poof* should be fixed.

Note: you may need to reinstall your CD-RW Software after doing this fix, but at least your drives should work.

Why do you think the devices were stolen?
In the initial post to this thread exists the language, "After the installation and rebooting, my computer has no CD and CRW drives any more!". If optical disc handling drives disappeared from your computer without your consent, it is reasonable to suspect theft.
And do you have any hints about my problem, Ascii2? Thanks if you can help.
Yes.

Follow the following procedure:

Export Registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}" to text file.

Attempt to delete UpperFilters and LowerFilters following the process decribed in the "Method 2: Manually delete the registry entries" section of http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060 .

If the problem still persists .

Set "devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices" environmental variable to "1".

Remove all optical drive drivers enumerated in device manager.

Restart the computer.

If the above fails, merge the copy of the earlier exported file to registry, quote a copy of the exported file to this thread, and state what chipset the motherboard uses and if chipset IDE or SATA controller drivers are installed.

Edited by Ascii2

I assume that you have a... not so good CD burning software *cough* Roxio... *cough* EzCD Creator

This would be due to the Upper and Lower filters of the drives being corrupted.

Ignoring the logical flaw and potential misspellings in the explanation of causality of the quoted statement, "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" are used by Adaptec or Roxio Burning engines (now owned by Sonic Solutions). The burning engines may be found in Roxio or Adaptec branded products and Sonic Solutions products such as DivX Player (possibly since version 6) and Windows Media Player 9.

Hi all, thank you for your replies.

I needed to use the drives so badly yesterday that I uninstalled SP3! Everything is OK now. I'll reinstal it a few days later and see if your solutions can help.

By the way, I got the installer from here:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/d/3...SP3-x86-ENU.exe

I installed it from the hard disk, not having it on the CD and then installing. May it be the cause of the problem? If it doesn't work again after these solutions, I'll try "slipstreaming SP3" as Spacesurfer suggested. I feel a little afraid of your words though.

OK, thanks again for all the help. I'll manage to have SP3 again.

Edit: removing off topic talking.

Edited by Aloha