Routing & Remote Access

Currently I have a client that uses straight up RDP to connect to a server so they can use a specific application. This company should not be using RDP due to the nature of the data that this application uses. (health insurance information & other confidential account info). My thought was to enable Routing and Remote Access for these remote clients. Alot of these clients are not the smartest of users so minimal "extra steps" will be nice.

Can RDP be secured in order to prevent confidentiality breach of their data?

When remotly connecting to servers, workstations, etc. we use Dameware. It's a remote control software that works just like you were sitting in front of it. If you have ever used Logmein it works JUST like that only better.

RDP connections can be configured to use/require the native FIPS encryption and a certificate for the connection. Add to that the ability to easily change the listening port (to obfuscate the service running there), and it's really quite secure. ...Not to mention 100 times faster than most of the alternatives.

I ran a series of tests between two fixed points and VNC consistantly lagged 10 sec behind RDP.