**SOLVED** In Dire Straights after removing 3rd party Security Suite

elmer fudd

Background (Info purposes only)

Well, I used NOD32 Security Suite on a 60 day trial without a problem, and if I hadn't been made redundant I would of kept it. When I removed it I discovered that windows firewall wouldn't start as it "cannot find ICS module" so I downloaded another 3rd party firewall, but the "pop-ups" really got me down so out came my XP SP2 Home Edition CD and I ran repair (after the "hit F8 to accept the terms one). During this repair run I was told that Windoze could not find various .dll files (one of 'em Movie Maker) and to search manually, which I did succesfully, but was confused, is that not what a repair run is all about, repair ? The only one I couldn't find was ICFGNT.DLL which, after reading the web is no surprise as it is not part of XP SP2 Home.

Bear with me, we are getting closer !!

Ever since that repair run I've been unable to boot the HDD, Maxtor, any further than past the white progress bar after the POST screen, before it recycles back to the start (Loop Of Death sans Blue Screen).

So I ran chkdsk c: /r which told me I had 2/3rds of the HDD unused, then ran Seatools om the Long and short test runs, neither found "broken" partitions. I did the "repair registry hives", fixboot and MBR repair but still couldn't boot the bugger!

Now we are getting really close !!

Out came my old HDD, Seagate, and ran the same Disc on it, booted in, connected web, etc. etc. with the idea to recover/transfer much needed data from the Maxtor disk to the Seagate disk before a complete scrub of the Maxtor.

We're There !! (Hello :hello: Anyone still there ? :} )

HOW TO RUN 2 HDD ON AN OLD (IDE) PC (450W PS, 133Mhz, AMD Athlon PSU, 512mb Ram, 20Gb Seagate, 60Gb Maxtor,)

IDE Akasa 80 strand 2 way cable, blue to MoBo, grey to Maxtor, black to Seagate, Seagate jumper set to Master, Maxtor slave, BIOS only sees Seagate**.

Swap the two HDD over, set Maxtor jumper as Master, BIOS sees no HDD**.

Remove Maxtor from black plug, BIOS sees Seagate as a primary slave, so I then put the Maxtor in its place and BIOS sees it as the primary slave. Stick the Seagate back onto the black plug BIOs sees that but now ignores the Maxtor **.

**Powered down, of course, between each of these changeovers.

How the hell can I get this Packard Bell PC to recognise two HDD. I believe I can set one up to the CD-ROM connection to grab the data if I have to.

PLEASE HELP ! Any suggestions will be tried and reported back, that may take a few days as I'm about to become a Grandad and I'm off to see my Daughter 'n the new 'un.

TIA Elmer.

Edited by elmer fudd

First I would try to see if you can manually set the HDD from within BIOS. Failing that, install windows on the Seagate, disconnect your CD rom and plug in the Maxtor there (obviously with the power off). Hopefully your BIOS should see both IDE drives and you can recover your important data.

Another option may be to get an external HDD case (which supports IDE drives obviously) and use that to recover your data (using another PC or Windows installed on the 20GB). Another way to do that (rather than install Windows to the 20GB HDD) would be to download and build a UBCD4Win CD (www.ubcd4win.org if my memory serves me correctly). This cut down version of Windows will run from your CD and RAM and should recognise a USB drive no worries, (although it will run a little slow and not be very responsive on your hardware).

• 2 weeks later...

AN UPDATE.

Lucas John made his World Premiere appearance at 17.25 hrs on the 25/07/08 weighing in at a healthy ( painful !! ) 8lb 10ozs. What ? Oh, you wanna know about the PC problem.

Thanks for your help Jedmeister, I couldn't get the PC to recognise both HDD via manually setting the BIOS. However, sticking the Maxtor HDD with needed data as the master on the CD-Rom "line", all data safely recovered, copied over to the Seagate HDD AND backed up to a couple of CD's.

Now if only I can get windoze to recognise the cd-rom I took out................

Edited by elmer fudd