(.msi) installing a application that needs serial number

l0k0

Hi

I'm planning to distribute apps via GPO under WS2003 domain. As you know, this method needs that the app is packaged in a .msi file. Many apps are not. So I needed to package "legacy" apps into the .msi format. I tried WinINSTALL LE 2003, AdminStudio and EMCO MSI Package Builder with no success on SOME apps: the ones that needs a serial number to function. All the config concerning the GPO and the domain is OK, so I'm testing directly on some vms and I can't make it work. For example, AVG Free (that comes with a serial number) has this problem, all the install goes OK, but when it starts for the first time, the apps shows an error message saying that the serial is not valid (in fact there is no serial at all). I have searched a lot but I still can't find the solution. I tried using the ALLUSERS property 1 and 2, install per machine.. and nothing.

Thank you in advance

Germán

It doesn't sound as if you're using the right product for your needs!

AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition is only available for single computer use for home and non commercial use.

:blushing: its true. Well, imagine other situation: a network admin wants to install a program that he bought on 5 machines (supose he bought the 5 licenses) he will never be able to do so? He will be forced to go an install on each machine??

Thanks

Some programs, e.g. MS.Office, let admins run setup.exe /a which gives a setup routine where you enter the serial etc., and it gives you a new MSI at the end for deploying. I think, though haven't done it myself, that you can edit the serial number into the property table in some MSIs. I've written an AutoIt script for deploying the full AVG through GPO, but it's not working perfectly so I've yet to post it here. For some reason, the network install utility wouldn't work for me. What's it like working for a company that won't pay for anti-virus?

Thank for the reply

but even with a paid version of an antivirus I will have the same problem... it will install the serial for that unique machine, so I wont be able to distribute it... but I suppose that a good software will come directly under msi for distribution.. don't know... well, thanks and let me know when you solve the autoit script problem

Thank for the reply

but even with a paid version of an antivirus I will have the same problem... it will install the serial for that unique machine, so I wont be able to distribute it... but I suppose that a good software will come directly under msi for distribution.. don't know... well, thanks and let me know when you solve the autoit script problem

For a business network environment there is usually a version with a central server that distributes / installs the software, for AVG its AVG Anti-Virus Network Edition this manages updates for the definitions and the software and you'll be able to see if any machine is out of date. Looking at the price for that version it may save you some cash as well.

I use EPO from McAfee to do the same thing, for that I use the EPO Agent installer from the GPO which would then install the software from the central repository automatically.

Edited by pugwash2004