why when i turn off my monitor i can't see anything?

ideas

Acer P223Wwd Glossy White 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD

ATI X1900 All-in-Wonder

anytime i turn off my monitor i get nothing, all i have to do is to unplug the DVI cable then plug it back in....

what is causing this and how could i prevent this from happening (black screen).

Huh???

Are you meaning that it is black when you turn it ON (instead of "off")?

Forgive me, but why turn it off in the first place? Your system ought to put the monitor into a "standby" type of mode when it is turned off.

Edited by Witt3439

@Witt3439: Leaving devices in "standby"-mode is a bad habit for some people, read 9. here. Or just search for "standby energy" or similar.

@ideas: Have you tried moving your mouse to wake it up?

Try using the screen with another computer and try another screen for your comp, to find out in which cases the same thing happens.

Check your monitor and comp for any settings that may be relevant.

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the graphics driver...

yes i tried moving the mouse or pressing a key and nothing happens, also my,

Acer P223Wwd Glossy White 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD

resolution is at max 1680 x 1050

and my,

ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon X1900

* Digital Displays (Connected by DVI)

o All resolutions up to 2560x1600

* Analog Displays (Connected by VGA)

o All resolutions up to 2048x1536

* TV-out

o SDTV (analog): 480i | 525i

o HDTV (analog or digital): 480p | 720p |1080i | Any custom resolution

It´s not related to your monitor but to the configuration of your PC. About what OS are we talking about and did you use the latest drivers? Did it work before?

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the graphics driver...
Indeed, and the power setting of your video card.

Looks like the VGA card doesn´t power up as it "knew" that the screen was powered off...

@Witt3439: Leaving devices in "standby"-mode is a bad habit for some people, read 9. here. Or just search for "standby energy" or similar.

I really like when people are reffering to GreenPeace or such, I found it really funny, not that I'm against protecting our nature and environment, but those organizations have nothing to do with that.

To original poster: I think that's a problem with ATI drivers/video card, it cannot detect your monitor and turned it off, unpluggin DVI cable would trigg detection, I have a similar issue with my TV (regular analog one, connected through component cable) which is only monitor on my media PC, whenever I do driver update it would turn TV off during monitor detection stage and I have to do a hard reboot in order to have my screen back.

My only advise would be to update drivers and don't turn your monitor off (cover those lamps with something).