Please go to the control panel to install and configure ... [Solved]

engert100

Hi.

I have customized an .MSP package for Office 2007 Enterprise and saved it as unattended.msp.

After customization there was another file called config.xml that was created.

I have put both these files in a folder inside Office 2007 DVD, called customXN

At the root of the DVD i've created a batch file called installOffice.bat with the following code

@ECHO off
title Microsoft Office 2007
ECHO.
ECHO Installing Microsoft Office 2007
Echo Please wait...
setup.exe /adminfile customXN/Unattended.MSP
exit

I have put this whole Office 2007 folder inside $OEm$/$1/Install/Applications/O2007

In my Winnt.sif i have the following entry:

[SetupParams]
UserExecute = "%systemdrive%\install\RunOnceEx.cmd"

I have put the RunOnceEx.cmd file in $OEm$/$1/Install Folder. In the same folder i have a cleanup.cmd

So far so bad.

RunOnceEx has the following code:

@echo off

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Installing Applications" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\010 /VE /D "Microsoft Office 2007" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\010 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\Applications\O2007\installOffice.bat" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\020 /VE /D "Cleaning Up and Rebooting" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\020 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\cleanup.cmd" /f

EXIT

So, when Administrator auto log-ins for the first time i get :

please go to the control panel to install and configure system components and Office 2007 does not install.

Why?

It's driving me crazy. Has anyone seen this before?

Please help.

EDIT: i forgot to mention that when i run the installOffice.bat after i double click it manually, it install Office 2007 properly, but it doesn't do it at RunOnceEx.

Edited by engert100

I'm not some expert in unattended installations but I think that your problem lies in

[SetupParams]
UserExecute = "%systemdrive%\install\RunOnceEx.cmd"

In this way you are launching install from your hard drive, but in your RunOnceEx I can't see that you copied Office Installations files or .bat file to hard drive.

Or to launch it directly from CD you need to define letter of your drive. Search for function on the forum. That function needs to be added to RunOnceEx and to be used instead of %systemdrive%.

Cheers ;)

All my files which are in $OEM$ folders are copied to the hard drive during the Text-mode Setup

At T-9 minute marker during GUI-mode Setup i call RunOnceEx from the [setupParams] function of Winnt.sif.

At this point all registry entries are in HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurentVersion/RunOnceEx

So, everything is copied to the hard drive i can assure you on that.

Edited by engert100

HA! Solved it!

After banging my head to the wall for about 8 hours, i figured it out. It's so simple that i can't believe it.

Hopefully this will save some hours to someone else.

The problem lies into the installOffice.bat file which is in the root directory of the Office 2007 DVD.

Typically everyone (including microsoft) tells you that after you've created a .msp file , create a simple batch file to call this .msp and deploy it. No one mentions how important is to call this .msp the correct way.

So the code:

@ECHO off
ECHO.
Echo Please wait...
setup.exe /adminfile customXN/Unattended.MSP
exit

should be:

@ECHO off
ECHO.
Echo Please wait...
%systemdrive%\install\applications\o2007\setup.exe /adminfile customXN\Unattended.MSP
exit

Now why does this happen? Well because Microsoft/Bill Gates/Windows is retarded.

Go to Run and type setup. You'll get: please go to the control panel to install and configure system components

Or if you browse to Windows/System32 and double click setup, you'll get the same message.

So, because when you simply call setup.exe /adminfile customXN/Unattended.MSP Windows thinks you're talking about the Setup.exe in the System32 folder. So that's why you have to tell it the whole path %systemdrive%\install\applications\o2007\setup.exe /adminfile customXN\Unattended.MSP

Hope this will help someone in the future.

After googling for hours, no one in the Internet has a clear answer for this problem.

• 2 months later...

I was having the exact same problem with the "Please go to the Control Panel" message and was doing some research on it when I came across this forum. It sure saved me from having to bang my head on the wall! Thanks for the help.

Mike

• 4 years later...