What has better drivers for a windows 98 box? Nvidia or Ati?

togermano

I have used ATI (FX7800) and NVIDIA (6800SE) within the last year. 2005 is the last NVIDIA driver update. It will support alot of the current GX cards. The ATI drivers about the same. PCI-EXPRESS is a another story. Before purchasing any GX card for a WIN98/SE system, I would check on the ATI and NVIDIA websites and verify that the chip set on the GX card is supported by the older drivers. Neither ATI or NVIDIA are updating WIN98 drivers.

BATSoftware

What has better drivers for a windows 98 box? Nvidia or Ati?

I'm wondering the same thing...

Right now I'm running a Geforce2 MX 400 with the 71.84 drivers...

but...

I have a ATI RADEON 9800 PRO 128MB laying around (a used gift from my bro)...

Which ATI drivers would work best for the 9800...?

I don't need any fancy stuff, just the best working drivers...

Any suggestions?

I recently replaced a GeForce MX 400 with a Radeon 9700 pro. The Catalyst 6.2 drivers are stable with Windows ME so they should be fine with 98 and 98se as well. There is a very noticeable difference in image quality with the Radeon.

Edited by Sysdll

My experience with ATI was a Radeon DDR which I've used for a while. Other than that it's been nVidia TNT, TNT2, FX5200.

I disliked ATI's drivers. It's a mess. Unclear versioning scheme (Did you know that Catalyst 5.2 is also known as v8.03.98.3-050117a-021000e? :). Messy installer (I think I ultimately had to manually install the drivers). Standalone driver control software. I vaguely remember a problem with full screen DOS.

NV's installation is much smoother and their versioning makes more sense. (But their video support is an issue, and having to use different drivers for different games is stupid at best. But maybe ATI suffers from that too, I don't know.)

Edited by shae