XP64 Pro: corrupt file

mshaw

(I'm an N-Lite newbie, please bear with me. I did perform a forum search for this problem, though.)

I'm attempting to slipstream XP64 Pro + SP2 (plus more stuff, probably, but I'm just trying this much now as a test). I've copied the entire installation CD to a local folder on C:\, and have downloaded the SP2 update from Microsoft.

Details:

OS: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition SP1 (r.2.3790.1830)

Update file: WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB914961-SP2-x64-DNU.exe

Update file: WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB914961-SP2-x64-ENU.exe

Hardware: AMD Athlon 64, 2.22GHz, 2G RAM, 95GB free on HDD

N-Lite v1.4.6

In N-Lite I have chosen the local folder with the XP64 files, plus the SP2 update, and selected the option to create an ISO; that is, I've taken all steps up through the end of: http://www.nliteos.com/guide/part1.html

N-Lite begins extracting files to a temp directory. When it gets to the file 'amd64\spconw.ch_', it halts with a "File is corrupt" error.

I have recopied that file from the XP64 installation CD into the local XP64 folder, and tried again. Same result.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Edited by mshaw

mshaw,

I don't have any suggestions but here is the information on my 'amd64\spconw.ch_' file:

Size:176,259 bytes

MD5:DFD95DF61A950D9FCF0E0D7247AADECD

I have an ENU version CD with SP1, so don't know if this file would be the same.

Good luck,

Enjoy, John.

mshaw,

I am curious what language DNU is (ENU perhaps)?

Have you had any CD read problems? Cleaned the disk? Cleaned the CD drive?

I have not run nLite 1.4.6. You might try 1.4.5 Beta 2 (what I run with no problems).

I assume you have .NET Framework 2.0 or higher installed?

If all else fails, please post a screen shot of your error window.

Here's the info on SP2 (ENU):

[367,964,016]

MD5: 46D05CE174437A224C8A77047D010AE9

SHA1: 7F8E909C52D23AC8B5DBFD73F1F12D3EE0FE794C

You might have fun with this post about XP x64.

Enjoy, John.

I am curious what language DNU is (ENU perhaps)?

Typo. It is indeed ENU (that's what I get for not just copying-and-pasting).

After a bit more experimentation (specifically, leaving the SP2 out of the N-Lite options, which resulted in an error-free run) it appears that the corrupt file is in the SP2 download, not in the files from the installation CD as I'd originally said. I'll have to check this out w/ the MD5 etc you gave me; will do so later (got to get to work now).

I assume you have .NET Framework 2.0 or higher installed?

Just checked; yes, and for x64. Interestingly enough I also have .NET 1.1 (non-x64) installed; I wonder if having two installations is problematic?

You might have fun with this post about XP x64.

Wow. Thanks, I'll take a look at that too.

Will update when I know more.

-Mark Shaw

The two .NET installations should work fine together. Though I must say that 1.1 is of limitied use since it's a few years out of date. Unless you have an old application that absolutely demands it, I'd uninstall it and save some hard disk space. ;)

nLite only needs .NET 2.0. Whether it's x64 or x86 only matters to the operating system. :)

Here's the info on SP2 (ENU):

[367,964,016]

MD5: 46D05CE174437A224C8A77047D010AE9

SHA1: 7F8E909C52D23AC8B5DBFD73F1F12D3EE0FE794C

OK, my MD5 is different. Looks like I need to find this again - I'll work on that when I have time (gotta get to work again) and update.

Thanks,

Mark Shaw

OK, my MD5 is different. Looks like I need to find this again - I'll work on that when I have time (gotta get to work again) and update.

Downloaded the SP again, and this time the MD5s match. Ran nLite on it again, at least as far as the extraction-and-integration step (got to the Options menu) and everything looks fine. Thanks, all - will continue this exercise sometime this weekend.

Observation: I downloaded the first SP with Firefox 3.0, and the latest one with IE (7.0.5730.11, 64-bit). I wonder if this could have been the reason for the corruption....

Mark Shaw