Status bar in Vista explorer = garbage; tell me there's tweaks&#33

Volatus

Results of Googling/searching:

http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/forums/wi...ure-142924.html

http://www.msfn.org/board/Explorer-s-odd-b...ior-t97890.html

I mean, even the bug shown in that second post (Explorer's odd behavior) is still present in my Vista SP1. Select all files, note the size. Refresh. Select all again. Note the doubled size. Nothing actually doubled... it just... says it did. And one worse, it's a bug that appears when you TRY TO GET UPDATED INFORMATION (refreshing). Talk about disgusting on Microsoft's part...

Okay, so where did the total filesize go? I managed to get back my friggin' menu bar and status bar, but whose brilliant idea was it to remove those anyway? The same people that still removed extensions from filenames by default? I can't get the total filesize without selecting all files, which gets quite annoying when you're working with the mouse. Click a folder, see the filesize. Typical day to day stuff.

I think, maybe, after the glitter has worn off, all these little quirks and problems with Vista are going to end me up going back to XP again after all... :hello:

Now that you mentioned it... i wish you hadn't. :lol: But i'll need vista x64 for DX10 gaming and to see all my 6GB of RAM as i just got another 4GB today. That is - if i can get all this RAM to work properly. :P If only driver support for XP x64 wouldn't be so poor.

But yeah, those are pretty stupid bugs. I dunno how they could let 'em through. I mean it feels slow alright, even on a high-end machine, but i thought it can still do day-to-day tasks. Well, it seems that it can't do even that. Shame on you M$.

Edited by Th3_uN1Qu3

this has been noted long ago and one would hope there is a fix in the works, since the bug is in Explorer.exe i would expect it is not something they can change/fix easily even if they know the fix.

I mean it feels slow alright, even on a high-end machine,

Exactly the reason I threw my Vista PowerTogether give-a-way in the trash. I waited until SP1 to use it again and it still felt the same even after the service pack.

Luckilly, all my H/W has XP64 drivers. And since it's based on Server 2003, it'll be supported for a lot longer than plain old XP will be.

Also noticed that:

- Explorer no longer shows you a summary of an EXE you hover over in the tooltip

- It also doesn't show any EXE related information in the status bar

- Thumbnailing is much slower in Vista and caps off at several thousand images (if you have a folder with 15,000 sequential images, it matters)...

- There's practically nothing new in Vista's explorer that wasn't already in XP...

*facepalm*