Combine multiple updates to one package?

Star Shadow

Does anyone know if it is possible to take all the update .msu and .exe files and extract the contents to be combined into one nice update package? I am not talking about taking all .msu files and extracting them to a individual .cab files and then compressing those .cab files into a zip file, but actually extracting the contents of the .cabs and combining them into one install .cab/.7z/whatever file to be integrated using vLite. I have used packs by Ryanvm for XP and that was one nice file. That is what I want for Vista. I do not wish to distribute this file, but use it for my own purposes.

Also, I noticed that some updates need to be installed in a particular order, since two updates my update the same file, one being newer than the other, and so version information would need to be determined in combining all the updates to one file. I have the WAIK, would that allow me to do that? Do I need the .xml and .pkgProperties.txt files that get extracted from the .msu file?

I am beginning to think that I may need to write my own program to make one update file. If so, what are the resources that I need to read to learn about how to interface with the Vista updates?

Thanks. :)

• 1 month later...

I am beginning to think that I may need to write my own program to make one update file. If so, what are the resources that I need to read to learn about how to interface with the Vista updates?

All you should need is imagex.exe, peimg.exe and pkgmgr.exe to integrate it all in the .WIM file yourself. They're all documented too: imagex, peimg and pkgmgr cmd line arguments.

Edited by crahak