Restoring Audio CD autorun

Volatus

So I Googled around a lot for this problem first, and found:

http://www.msfn.org/board/Enabling-AUTORUN...VED-t80583.html

But it wasn't solved, or at least, it didn't fix my problem. Plus, the signal to noise ratio was HORRIBLE - way too much noise about "waaaah, you said CUSTOMER"... you know, nLite would be much more useful if people were allowed to use it at least on a small scale commercial operation... or at least have some kind of agreement regarding commercial usage, but "private use only" is killing it...

I can put in an audio CD and Explorer will open the CD drive window with the CDA files in it. It detects that a CD was inserted, but doesn't seem to care that it's an audio CD (although the title says "Audio CD (D:)"). Very strange.

In the registry, I found that the "AudioCD" class didn't even exist. For some reason (something I removed?), it wasn't created.

I need this to work, because the system is a headless PC that simply acts as a print/radio/camera server. I want to be able to put in a CD and have it start playing without having to VNC to it and turn it on. It has a keyboard to control play/pause/volume/track/etc., but no button to "play CD".

For VNC, the address is falconsys.no-ip.com:5901 and there is no password. It's set up to share, so feel free to share the love.

Thanks!

edit: Oops, forgot to apply the port forwarding changes! =o

Edited by Volatus

Copy/paste:

Take a look in Regedit where I left it - something isn't right there?: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\EventHandlers\PlayMusicFilesOnArrival
It seems you have removed Windows Media Player - he's responsible for creating initial music file type entries; Check if foobar2000 has an option for creating associations.; Foobar dosn't respond to checking/unchecking "set as default audiocd player"...
In the past, when I used FooBar2000, there was a separate .exe responsible for setting associations - did they change that?

Yeah now I'm sure - CD Audio Autoplay Handler isn't defined (by a program; it is only by Explorer). Reinstall foobar and have it take over AudioCD associaton (if it's capable, but it should be).

Nice visiting you! :)

GL

Edited by GrofLuigi

Thanks for the visit! :D

Yeah, I had FB2K set as the default CD player - it's now part of the preferences dialog in 0.9 and higher. Unfortunately, all that did was change the handler for the AudioCD class. It didn't even properly create it, it just change/created the value (nothing to change, so it created, much like writing a file). I tried building the proper structure around it, but all I have in front of me is Vista, so I don't know if I copied the right values or not.

I'll try out that registry change though. Thanks!!!

Hm, well, things just got a little more complicated.

I popped a CD into my XP virtual machine, which also has Media Player removed... and the autorun thing popped up just as it should (detected that it was a music CD and asked what I wanted to do).

Really confused now. If that machine also has Media Player removed, then... where's the problem? It has matching registry keys for everything I've looked at so far, and I've also run Regmon on it to see where it was "getting its ideas". Everything seems OK, but it's just... not.

I wonder if there's a hook that catches audio CDs, that's just missing. I'm going to run regmon on the virtual machine as I put in the CD and see if there's anything else missing... =|

Hooly crap. I am dumb. *throws away a piece of software*

It was Minlogon's fault (from XP Embedded). As the intro notepad mentioned, the computer was also using Minlogon. Minlogon evidently blocks (or disrupts) autorun, amongst other things. I noticed that the virtual machine was getting a lot of autorun-related calls from svchost, which could be getting its information from Winlogon. But not Minlogon, which is designed to "just give you a working environment to run programs in, nothing more".

After switching back to Winlogon and rebooting, I first noticed that I now have system tray icons for TightVNC and my Epson printer - they weren't there before. Then I tried ejecting and inserting the CD. Bam. The never-again-neglected "what do you want to do with this content?" dialog popped up!

And with that, the solution: don't use Minlogon. XD