SATA Hard Disk query

SandLake

I have an Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard with a Samsung Spinpoint 250Gb SATA hard drive

Have I got an "nForce Raid array"?

Do I have to press F6 when I install Win XP Pro? I have installed XP Pro both with the F6 method and without and haven't noticed any difference - but I don't know which is correct nor why?

I am interested in creating a nLite unattended installation disk (with the HD drivers is necessary) but do not know what to include?

I have an Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard with a Samsung Spinpoint 250Gb SATA hard drive

Have I got an "nForce Raid array"?

No, for a RAID array you need more than 1 hdd and you have to create the array before you get it.
Do I have to press F6 when I install Win XP Pro?
No, because you are neither running your S-ATA ports in AHCI mode nor do you use a RAID array.

Nevertheless it is a good idea to integrate the nForce S-ATA driver (it's within the SATA_IDE subfolder of any actual nForce chipset package) into a bootable CD as "normal" device (=PnP) driver.

I am interested in creating a nLite unattended installation disk (with the HD drivers is necessary) but do not know what to include?
You don't need to integrate any driver, because the OS Setup will detect your S-ATA hdd and will get properly installed, but it would be nevertheless a good idea to integrate the following nForce chipset drivers: S-ATA (take the SATA_IDE subfolder), Ethernet and SMBus.

I have a further problem now, I have tried to integrate the nForce chipset drivers but as I ewas doing so I was asked something about PNP/Textmode and I selected PNP (I didn't know the answer) and now when I boot into Windows I get the following 2 messages

Found New HArdware

NVIDIA NForce 430/410 Serial ATA Controller

Found New Hardware Wizard

Cannot Install this Hardware

There was a problem installing this hardware

An error occurred during the installation of the device

This installation package is not supported by this processor type. Contact your product vendor

Is this to do with PNP/Textmode or is there some other problem? (The windows installation still seems to be running OK)

Thanks

Found New HArdware

Found New Hardware Wizard

Cannot Install this Hardware

There was a problem installing this hardware

An error occurred during the installation of the device

This installation package is not supported by this processor type. Contact your product vendor

I remember this from looong time ago (nForce2). Something that made me bump my head into a wall (after I scratched it for days). :D

Not so obvious and very weird. It has to do with the computer type (main one in device manager). Nvidia (S)ATA controllers didn't want to install if it was not Acpi Uniprocessor or Multiprocessor (I'm talking about already installed windows). Now this is not the new Acpi (S)ATA controller, it's the computer type (HAL?).

Maybe it is not the exact same issue, but sure looks like it.

Since you're doing unantended, I think there are two possibilities:

1. You had somehow chosen the 'wrong' HAL (computer type) that the drivers did not expect. Less likely.

2. You had chosen the wrong SATA driver package (or type of driver inside the package - one mistake you could make is Textmode vs. PNP and another is to choose wrong platform from inside a package - NVIDIA has multiple).

GL

Edited by GrofLuigi

You are quite right, I had chosen the wrong computer type, I had selected 'Standard PC' when I could have (and now have) set it to 'Automatic' and it selects 'ACPI Multiprocessor'

This has rectified the NVIDIA NForce 430/410 Serial ATA Controller problem and also the computer shuts down automatically as well

Thanks for your help