Install XP on Non-Standard Drive Letter

barnold

Hi,

I would like to clean install XP and have the system or boot partition of the computer to be F: (not C:), however, I don't see that as an option during XP Setup (clean install).

Is it possible to have the boot or system drive letter to be anything other than C:?

Thanks!

brian

Hi,

I would like to clean install XP and have the system or boot partition of the computer to be F: (not C:), however, I don't see that as an option during XP Setup (clean install).

Is it possible to have the boot or system drive letter to be anything other than C:?

Thanks!

brian

not to my knowledge,but after you install it you can go to start /run and type or copy this into run . compmgmt.msc ,and go to disk manager and click on the c drive and right click it and go to change drive letter , i have never done this so im not sure what will happen ,good luck

I've done this on accident before.

Get one of those USB multi-flash card reader thingies and plug it in before you start to install Windows. Make sure the hard drive isn't partitioned first, then start the Windows installation. Windows will assign C:, D: E:... etc to the USB media slots, then after it formats and installs Windows. The last time I forgot to disconnect the USB media reader before installing Windows and Windows installed to drive H: - p***ed me off.

Hi,

Thanks!

brian

not to my knowledge,but after you install it you can go to start /run and type or copy this into run . compmgmt.msc ,and go to disk manager and click on the c drive and right click it and go to change drive letter , i have never done this so im not sure what will happen ,good luck

It won't allow you to change the drive letter of the partition XP is installed on. At least not from my experience.

I don't see that as an option during XP Setup (clean install).
Yes, there is no option so force a drive letter.
Given a partitioned and formated hard disk, you may set drive letter at registry MountedDevices.

There are different approaches:

boot a PE and use winnt32 to copy files locally.

Next edit migrate.inf, change drive letter.

Reboot to launch installation.

Or add registry setting to your boot media. There is setupreg.hiv, migrate.inf or a custom hive*.inf.

As for migrate.inf: http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=19663

This refers to a known hard disk partition.

Or start a default installation. Remember drive letter, maybe c:

At first reboot launch a PE, load local registry and change assocination.

Compare http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188

Reboot to continue installation.

I've done this on accident before.

Get one of those USB multi-flash card reader thingies and plug it in before you start to install Windows. Make sure the hard drive isn't partitioned first, then start the Windows installation. Windows will assign C:, D: E:... etc to the USB media slots, then after it formats and installs Windows. The last time I forgot to disconnect the USB media reader before installing Windows and Windows installed to drive H: - p***ed me off.

I know what you mean Nois. I had the same thing happen to me a couple of years ago. I got a new PC with a card reader/writer built in, and when I installed Windows it set my Windows partition to H: as well.

Indeed it is possible.

Many years ago I would install Windows 2000 Professional to partition E:. Using a non C: drive letter was optionial during install under certain conditions.

I do not exactly remember how I did it.

Try leaving the file system intact during Windows XP install (formatting the file system and assigning a drive letter using a different tool would be necessary).

It is possible that Windows XP Service Pack 2 or newer service pack disables the ability.

EDIT: I also vaguely remember a Windows 2000 support tool that could ealisy allow for what it appears you want.

Edited by Ascii2