How clean up old compuers in Active Directory?

I decided to clean up a few things on my 2003 server and would like an easy way - of a bit less of a manual way - to clean up old computers that were once on the network at one time but are no longer here .

i have a huge list of computers in my active directory but more then half are no longer active for one reason or another.

can i tell it somehow to remove anything tha thasn't checked in within maybe 90 days etc?

There is no easy/straightforward way that I know of.

What we do, is use the domain login log files, and process those to keep the last logon dates for every computer. You must ensure your users log off once in a while too, not just lock their workstations (else no login shows, and they get deleted). Then anything past a certain date gets removed.

you can use vb script to query AD and move objects around. Presumably you could come up with something to move old computers to an OU somewhere? maybe do a little research and see what you can come up with, im sure this would be possible :)

You might try this. If not, there are (non-free) apps out there that can give you a view of your AD in this manner, like AD Janitor, for example.

I can't imagine using something like that, when the interfaces are easily queryable via ADSI like the script linked above, but for some organizations it's cheaper to buy a product and save money on less time spent, I suppose :).