Which files are changed when components are removed?

LeveL

Here is a list of things I know change when you remove components from Windows with nLite:

1 - Files are taken from I386.

2 - INF files that are in I386 are edited.

3 - DRIVER.CAB has files taken out (depending on what you remove)

4 - TXTSETUP.SIF is edited.

So altogether this is only 4 main things that change.

These 4 things above are the only things I know of that do change, but there HAS to be something else because when I do the reverse of removing components and add back all the lines in all the INF files, all the files to I386 that are needed, all the files inside DRIVER.CAB and TXTSETUP.SIF, after all that which takes ages - it doesn't work! The service I added back does not start up.

People don't seem to reply here on MSFN like they used to.

Like my other topic about NLS files and why doesn't nLite remove them when you list it in the [RemoveFiles] section, no one ever replies... they used to which was what made MSFN so good... so whats changed?

Does anyone know the answer to this post?

What else is there nLite changes APART FROM those 4 things?

For example - even though I put back in all the files and lines in the HIVE*.INF, DOSNET.INF, DRVINDEX.INF (any that changed, I added the needed lines back) and the service I am adding back is not even displayed in the services window - the files are all there but not the registry entries for the service. If I put back in the registry settings, even then the service will not start.

So it can only be because something else has changed that I do not know about - what?

Please, if you're going to reply, don't say...

"Why are you trying to put stuff back, you could just remake it from your Last Session! I'm so clever!"

... because I have had to mod Windows further than nLite - a lot further, because nlite refuses to remove things like .NLS files and a whole slew of networking stuff I will never want or need the use of that CAN be removed Nuhi!

I can't just re-make this because it would take me weeks.

Edited by LeveL

People don't answer anymore because your posts are very negative or offending.

You are missing key other sections like sysoc.inf and dosnet.inf when you are trying to re-add files. Plus there are LOTS of inf files that are edited. You did post a complete list of files that can be deleted pre-install but you never posted what their original purpose is or what is gained\lost by removing them... Also nLite is not just for you! I would dare say over well 100,000 people use it regularly or more. They need those files as they are not as savy as you. Nuhi might know of dire reasons why those files are not removed and purposly left them in.

Simply do a standard install of Windows and look at the inf folder. You'll see that most of the inf files in that folder would have to be edited by nLite to remove services.

I have found that even though it still leaves some space on your disk you really shouldn't delete ANY service just use the tweaks section to modify them.

Speaking of that HEY NUHI! Can we pretty please get some presets for the services? Like an automated Blackvipers settings built into nLite?

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian