Mapping Network Drive Across Subnet in DOS

Hey Guys,

Wondering if you can shed any light on this issue I'm having. I've created the Norton and the Bart's Network Boot disk. Both of which will not allow me to map a network drive across a subnet. I can always map to a machine on the same subnet, but never to any of the other subnets. I can ping the dos machine from other machines, ping the machine I would like to map to through the dos prompt. IPCONFIG (on the bart's network boot disk) shows the proper subnet, gateway and dns servers. Any ideas?

Ken

How are the 2 networks configured? can you tell us any ranges or anything? and if it helps i would say at a guess that ports 137-139 and port 445 need to be allowed to traverse the 2 subnets to map a drive.

Thanks

The subnet with the server is 10.2.x.x /16 and the subnet with the workstation is 10.3.1.x /24

I can map the drive through Windows, but it doesn't work through the DOS Network client.

Edited by kpm2k

If you are mapping to a server share from DOS you need to change part of the local security policy. There is a policy there called digitally sign communications (always) or very similar. I am sure that this needs to be disabled as DOS clients dont understand digitally signed communications :D

Cheers

I tried via hostname and IP, same results.. says it cant find the machine. I can map a drive fine on the same subnet at our remote locations, just not between them (while in dos) works fine in windows.

At the point you are mapping the drive have you authenticated against the domain controller? In dos it wont prompt you, it will just not work (i think)

:)

EDIT: Sorry im an id***, you can map on the local subnet so i guess you are doing it the same way across subnets.....

An afterthough of mine would be to use netmon to track what happens when you map a drive on the local subnet and compare against what happens with a remote subnet.

Also are there any Firewalls inbetween the subnets?

Thanks

Edited by eyeball

• 5 months later...

I've had exactly the same problem. Mt setup is .... Router to router vpn (netgear DG834G to DG834G AND also tried DG834G to netgear FVS318) , different subnets, firewalls turned off both ends,ping works both ways and sql server connection also works but mapping network drive using ip addresses through explorer or net use just wont work. Should mention also that both machines run XP pro and the drive mappings will work if I connect them to the same subnet.

I believe the problem is nothing to do with the VPN but is completely to do with mapping drives across subnets.

Software VPN connection isn't a problem as the client will be allocated a local ip address on connection, so the network drive mapping is within same subnet and does actually work. This is how I'm currently keeping the 2 sites connected. This is my current interim solution but I really need to get router to router connection working.

I know I could use an FTP server instead, but it's not the elegant solution I was looking for. I believe that mapping a network drive should work ... but something's stopping it.

If you have a resolution to this I'd really appreciate if you could let me know. Actually , any advice at all would be gratefully received.

Regards

Richard S

• 2 months later...

Hey... I was having this same problem. I needed to connect to my computer at my desk. If I went to a conference room (new ip address) and recieved an IP on a different subnet, my drive maps would not work. I had a program that I had to demo that mapped a drive back to my computer at my desk to use a resourse on that computer.

If I turn off Windows Firewall on the machine I am trying to connect to (this was a Vista machine), then I can map the drive if I am on a different subnet.

Instead of turning off Windows Firewall though, if I check "Netlogon Service" on the exceptions tab, then I can still map drives across subnets.

My guess is that Windows Firewall suspects an "attack" since a request is being made from the "outside" (different subnet). I wonder if it is possible to fine tune the exception a bit better to include a series of ip address instead of just turning it on/off.... or if maybe entering the IP address series in the Internet Explorer trusted site list would help. Not sure.

Anyone? If this workaround works for you, let me know if there are more "secure ways" to make the drive mapping available without opening things up to anyone.

Edited by keithmoran

Sounds like you have the exceptions for file and print sharing set to allow only from it's own subnet. Go into the control panle go to administrative tools open windows firewal with advanced security, find File and print sharing..... in the list there are abouot 8 different ones so you can get very granular, select the ones you need change and open them go to the scope tab and change the settings to your needs.

This used to be much easier in xp, but you didn't have the granularity.