SP1 reset power settings!

Tripredacus

This is more of a report than a question, but you can discuss it if you like.

I've spent the last few (business) days making a new image for Vista Business and integrating SP1 and testing. Our base image was Vista Business RTM volume license and power settings of disable hibernate, disable sleep, and do not require a password on resume. If you don't disable the password on resume, if your account doesn't have a password and the computer goes to sleep, when you wake it, it disables your account and the only thing you can do is reboot (with the reset switch).

So I loaded on SP1, and after it was all done I let it sit overnight. I come in the next day (Friday) and found the account was locked out after "turned it on" which actually it was hibernating and I did not realise it because the power light was off. I went in and checked the Power Options and indeed all the settings I had in my RTM image had been reset to defaults, which meant I had to set them all again.

So if you are experiencing this issue as well, you aren't alone.

I've spent the last few (business) days making a new image for Vista Business and integrating SP1 and testing. Our base image was Vista Business RTM volume license and power settings of disable hibernate, disable sleep, and do not require a password on resume. If you don't disable the password on resume, if your account doesn't have a password and the computer goes to sleep, when you wake it, it disables your account and the only thing you can do is reboot (with the reset switch).

So I loaded on SP1, and after it was all done I let it sit overnight. I come in the next day (Friday) and found the account was locked out after "turned it on" which actually it was hibernating and I did not realise it because the power light was off. I went in and checked the Power Options and indeed all the settings I had in my RTM image had been reset to defaults, which meant I had to set them all again.

Wouldn't it be easier to manage your power settings for the machine through group policy?

Wouldn't it be easier to manage your power settings for the machine through group policy?

I may end up taking a look into that. I am shifting roles from being the server guy to being the Vista guy and I was just given the MS RK book. Anything to make it easier I suppose. If they are set through GP will that stop the settings from being reset during the upgrade?

It isn't a big issue for me because I will be doing only one or two more image updates, but I wanted to post that it does happen.