Injecting Drivers when Deploying a Vista Image

I'm working on the Vista images to replace the XP builds at work and have run into a bit of a snag (actually, one of many snags but that's a different story).

With XP, we have Ghost images of sysprepped installs devoid of all 3rd parth drivers. We boot into WinPE, use Ghost to lay down the image, then we determine what hardware model we are running on. With that info, we copy down the drivers for just that model and then update the DevicePath entry in the Registry and reboot the box. Then, as mini-setup runs all the needed drivers are there for PnP.

I've tried this on a custom, sysprepped Vista image but it doesn't work. After all is said and done, the machine isn't using any 3rd party drivers. The DevicePath is correct, and if I open Device Manager and have Vista update the video driver (for example) it'll find the 3rd party driver and install it no problem. If I trigger a PnP enumaration manually then it'll find all the proper 3rd party drivers and switch to them. So, the path is correct, it's just that PnP doesn't appear to be happening.

I've been beating my head on my desk trying to find anything about this. I've found all sorts of info about adding drivers at the point of CREATING the image, but not a thing about adding drivers at the time of DEPLOYMENT. I've even picked apart the scripts that Microsoft uses in its Deployment Toolkit, but the script they use does the exact same thing I am, except that it appears to focus only on being used with Setup.exe and installing Vista rather than using ImageX to deploy a sysprepped image.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks