Ideas for better/future computing.

As one that both spends a lot of time behind a PC, and who likes to better things, I would like to start a thread of software and hardware improvements and ideas i would like to see implemented, or have found, and invite others to add to or comment on such.

1. Speech recognition (speech to text and commands) Vista (even HB which i have) provides this but it is very very basic. If you don't have Office i have found it only writes text to WordPad, and at that it leaves a lot to be desired. As my fingers increasingly are getting stiffer i myself would like to see this much improved. Vista recognition will also launch some apps, but nothing as varied and quick as it should be. In fact, i think the PC should be able to boot via voice command, which could allow extensive password restrictions. And rather than having to say Start and the name of a program, we should be able to set up any program we want to launch by voice command, as in “execute Firefox” (FF).

2. Remote telemetry and execution. PC makers could work with appliance and car makers to allow cheap transmitting of helpful data to your PC, such as electrical consumption, ambient temperature, etc. And laptops could have a program that allow basic analysis of engine performance. Etc.

More devices could also be cheaply made to be receive commands from a PC (turn lights on, off etc.).

3. HotKeys: A built in hot key utility could really launch things quickly, and even shut down the PC. (I use the discontinued Copernic utility Winkey, and set it up so that the Windows key and F keys launch Internet apps, while Windows, shift and the appropriate key does other apps, while ctrl and a appropriate key does folders.)

4. Sys. Res. And activity. A single system tray utility that can show HD and CPU temps and activity, as well as specific Internet activity would be helpful.

5. The Task Bar. It would be helpful to able to be to choose different colors for each button (as in FF Colorful tabs ext.), as well as drag them to different positions, or Freeze one. And also to save different sessions. Also, be able to close one folder out of many in a grouped Task Bar button without it collapsing.

6. Saving web pages. As one who does much research, i like to be have the option of saving any web page with the URL embedded in the page, as the FF extension SaveWithUrl (http://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/savewithurl-en.html) allows.

In addition, rather than having to R. click + hit Properties in order to add a summary to such, this should be enabled in the initial saving of it.

7. Windows navigation. Rather than jumping though numerous hoops in oder to get someplace (like Advanced power management), perhaps a window could just list things. Or again, just speak it or hotkey it.

Also, return the up arrow in Vista so that one can view folders in a single pane and navigate faster (i do know about Alt and the up arrow. But use the QTTabBar instead).

Well, i am sure there is more than can be added, and that we are still in the “Model T” stage of computers and will see more improvements (as God yet gives grace).

2. Remote telemetry and execution. PC makers could work with appliance and car makers to allow cheap transmitting of helpful data to your PC, such as electrical consumption, ambient temperature, etc. And laptops could have a program that allow basic analysis of engine performance. Etc.

More devices could also be cheaply made to be receive commands from a PC (turn lights on, off etc.).

Microsoft Sync (Windows mobile for Cars basically) -I was looking at getting a ford focus with it and see if i could get BSOD as a custom plate :P

5. The Task Bar. It would be helpful to able to be to choose different colors for each button (as in FF Colorful tabs ext.), as well as drag them to different positions, or Freeze one. And also to save different sessions. Also, be able to close one folder out of many in a grouped Task Bar button without it collapsing.

not exactly what you asked for but take a look at Taskbar Shuffle it help keep the taskbar a little easier to organize (works with systray icons too)

Also, return the up arrow in Vista so that one can view folders in a single pane and navigate faster (i do know about Alt and the up arrow. But use the QTTabBar instead).

the breadcrumb menu is better than the up button IMO. I missed the Up button at first too but now when i get on a XP/2003 box i miss having the breadcrumb menu

"Taskbar Shuffle it help keep the taskbar a little easier to organize (works with systray icons too)"

Thanks.

"the breadcrumb menu is better than the up button IMO."

Some people like this better, but in some situations i cannot navigate up in a single pane windows, unless i use alt and up arrow. And i would rather just deal with single pane mode, for space purposes. No big deal.