Unable to insert drivers into mounted images!

Tripredacus

I've done this previously and it always works, but today none of my peimg commands are working.

First I exported an image to a new filename because I needed to add drivers into it and I didn't want to break the original. Then I mounted it to c:\winpe_x86\mount. I used PEIMG as I normally would to install drivers, but this time it gave me an error:

The image directory specified is not a valid Windows PE image.

PEIMG failed to complete the operation with status code 0x80070002

Thinking that perhaps the image was wrong, I mounted a different WIM (that I hadn't exported) and tried to inject those drivers but it failed with the same error. So I thought the drivers were bad and tried to inject known good drivers... That also failed.

I unmounted my image and checked the info on both the exported image and the other one and it all came back OK. I can't figure out why PEIMG doesn't like putting the drivers into the mounted volume today...

Here is a cmd example:

peimg /inf:e:\drivers\targus\cmdv\*.inf c:\winpe_x86\mount\windows

I have also tried specifying the INF name, using an equals (=) instead of a colon (:) and it just isn't working anymore. I also rebooted the computer but that didn't seem to make a difference.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been having the same thing happen but only with the newer AIK. I went back to the old version (1.0) and did the same commands with the same files and it worked perfectly.

When I have gotten it to work with AIK 1.5 it has bluescreened my PE at boot. This happened with adding only simple drivers none of which were used for the machine I tested it on.