Multiple similar drivers - inject or sysprep?

dandirk

I am working on adding drivers to my WinXP SP2 installation disks...

I have 2 HP laptops that have similar devices (same manufacturer) but different driver version that will only work with the each specific machine. Example is the SoundMax drivers. Both have the same manufacturer, same driver files etc but will not "cross" install...

Can I include both sets of drivers to the WinXP setup disk, even if they have files named the same? Or would it be best to add these drivers via sysprep and oemdriver paths?

If possible I would prefer the drivers to be added to the inf pool so after install drivers then could be found (bluetooth drivers that don't kick until a certain button is pressed)...

I assume I would have to rename the driver inf's if able to use both on the disk... aka oem1.inf, oem2.inf...

Anyone have more general knowledge how nlite adds the drivers to the win installation? Does it just add the inf and associated files to the inf directory or another method?

Thanks much

AFAIK nlite add each chosen driver to its own folder. So thinking logically, it would not run into duplicate file names, as each chosen driver inf file and those drivers that are in that folder, are copied to its own folder that goes into the windows image. However, having said that, if you have 2 drivers that are basically the same driver, but just different version, that might be a problem if windows cant tell the difference properly. I think you just have to test in order to be sure.

Thanks that is what I wanted to here... Yes I will test just wanted some more info before spending so much testing time.

I think windows will tell the difference, it will reject one similar driver and accept the other (an vice versa) with the two models but testing will tell...