Question about Group Policy

brandon6976

Hey guys so I know you can use gpedit.msc to edit the local machine policy, and I know how to use Server 2003 to edit the group policy, obviously with Vista there is some stuff missing from the group policy editor in Server 2003.

I saw http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727029.aspx article explaining how to prep a server 2003 domain to take Vista group policy. Which I will eventually get to (my company is always nervous and wanting to go slow). That being said though I heard there is a way make the changes on a vista machine and you can export a file which if you place on a vista machine it will take those settings or something of that nature.

Anyone know if there is any truth to that ? So is there a way for me to make the changes I need with gpedit on a vista machine and then deploy a file to other vista machines to get the same settings without having to go through the above article and changing AD?

found the answer incase anyone else needs it

http://www.biztechmagazine.com/article.asp?item_id=300

basically

Administrators %windir%\system32\grouppolicyusers\s-1-5-32-544\

Non-administrators %windir%\system32\grouppolicyusers\s-1-5-32-545\

User-specific policies %windir%\system32\grouppolicyusers\<ssid>\

Local computer policy, computer config. %windir%\system32\grouppolicy\machine\

Local computer policy, user config. %windir%\system32\grouppolicy\user\

the stuff above is where it all sits. If you need to copy the policy to another machine just need to copy those files. Definately not ideal but what I needed for my quick solution.

Enjoy.

Brandon