Help for replacement of Pentium III, 667MHz Processor?

dlsayremn

Old (1999-2000) Gateway Essential 667, Windows 98SE 4.10.2222 Intel Pentium III 667MHz, MB Intel 667 PIII (Bryant) R2

I am doing a little cheap (I hope) upgrading of this computer. I am using it now because my Compag SR2180NX/Vista is still waiting (4 weeks) for a replacement on/off switch.

It now has 512 RAM, a new power supply, and Samsung DVDRW drive. Will probably put in new HDD later.

I am thinking about replacing the CPU on this computer with a faster one, but I am not sure what would be a good match for the motherboard. Would any Pentium III 900+MHz with FC-PGA package, 133Mhz BUS Frequency and 1.7v. work? What other parameters would need to match? Help!!

Motherboard identified as Intel Willow Springs 2 WL810E ID: 51-2300-000000-00101111-030199-$WL810

Bios: Intel Corp. WL81020A.15A.0007.P06.0010031249 10/03/2000

Processor:

Intel® Processor Frequency ID Utility

Version: 7.2.20041115

Time Stamp: 2008/05/27 22:12:37

Number of processors in system: 1

Current processor: #1

Processor Name: Intel® Pentium® III Processor

Type: 0

Family: 6

Model: 8

Stepping: 3

Revision: 14

L1 Instruction Cache: 16 KB

L1 Data Cache: 16 KB

L2 Cache: 256 KB

Packaging: FC-PGA

MMX: Yes

SIMD: Yes

Expected Processor Frequency: 667 MHz

Reported Processor Frequency: 667 MHz

Expected System Bus Frequency: 133 MHz

Reported System Bus Frequency: 133 MHz

First check with Gateway support or Wims Bios page to see if there is a newer bios available for your computer.

You should be able to go as high as a 1ghz cpu. I say should because I’ve found Gateways to be a little quirky when it comes to upgradeing.

You can pick up socket 370 133FSB chips for a couple of bucks on the web so you don’t have much to loose by trying.

You probably already know this but make sure a heatsink and fan are attached with thermal paste before you install the new cpu.

Good Luck

You can pick up socket 370 133FSB chips for a couple of bucks on the web so you don’t have much to loose by trying.

I agree with that, 1Ghz PIII's show up regularly for 1 euro on ebay.

Why upgrade the CPU and not the motherboard (and memory)? If anything, I've often found upgrading the whole thing usually costs less than looking for legacy hardware.

You may even try to opt for a combo AGP-PCIe board to leave things open for future upgrades (although I'm not sure how 98 fairs with PCIe at this point).

Why upgrade the CPU and not the motherboard (and memory)? If anything, I've often found upgrading the whole thing usually costs less than looking for legacy hardware.

You may even try to opt for a combo AGP-PCIe board to leave things open for future upgrades (although I'm not sure how 98 fairs with PCIe at this point).

If you read the 1st post, you'll see why. :angel

Gateway's reply when I asked them:

We don't support processor/motherboard upgrades. Buy a new computer.

Thanks for replies. DLSayre

I should have been clearer. I didn’t mean ask anyone, I meant surf around their website. Somewhere on the Gateway site is a link to the company that does their legacy support. Also there are archive websites that feature information on how to upgrade older computers.

Sometimes I think if you call tech support for any computer manufacture and ask them what to do about fingerprints on a CRT they’ll tell you to buy a new computer with a more modern OS. :hello: