Ntoskrnl.exe - OXC0000098 - what's this when booting?

Thared33

I've made a couple different Vlite installs of Vista (x64 Home Premium), but this error comes up each time -- on both of them.

I'm thinking that everything would be ok if I could get around this, but I'm not sure what's causing it. It says that the file ntoskrnl.exe is either corrupt or missing and won't boot.. and says it right after the 'windows is loading files' page when booting with the DVDR in your drive.

I didn't do very much to my installs -- just a few things. I added SP1, the only hotfix I applied was the 4GBfix, and I tweaked it a bit with the unattended setup and disabled UAC, etc. Just simple stuff.

I made sure to integrate SP1, and THEN do the rest of it (although I didn't hit Apply until after all of my settings were done).

I'm not sure what's going on here.

Edited by Thared33

I just checked the folder.

There is a file called ntoskrnl-dl.man in the /sources/dlmanifests directory. That's all there is as far as a file called ntoskrnl.

I'm not sure how I'd get to the /system32 folder... Which file should I mount in gimagex?

Edited by Thared33

I just checked the folder.

There is a file called ntoskrnl-dl.man in the /sources/dlmanifests directory. That's all there is as far as a file called ntoskrnl.

I'm not sure how I'd get to the /system32 folder... Which file should I mount in gimagex?

Mount install.wim as you can find my guide for it here: http://www.msfn.org/board/GuideHow-to-modi...im-t111168.html

I recently noticed that difference on xp x64bit at least is that with genuine xp sp2 x64 there is no ntoskrnl.exe in driver cab, apparently its packed in by nlite itself. Actually, it was the OLD ntoskrnl.exe still stuck inside the driver.cab ON a slipstreamed sp2 cd of xp x64.

Knowing a bit about microsoft and their habits,this leads me to believe in your case that slipstreaming/installing SP1 got screwed up at some point. Or it could be when installing the os too of course.