Best Practices - Slipstreaming WinXP Pro

zaqxsw

nLite newbie here. I've spent several hours searching & reading topics in the forum and have some conclusions I just want to get some feedback on. I've been manually slipstreaming WinXP and MSOffice for years, but have never used nLite or RyanVM Integrator.

I'm just looking for some feedback on the following three items:

1) Always keep a unmodifed "safe" source of WinXP Pro with just the SP updates. I've always kept a SP2 safe source, and am now keeping a SP3 "safe" source.

2) As long as you have a "safe" source with just the SP updates, it is OK to integrate the next SP into it. You do not have to go back to the original WinXP CD. (or, if you are willing to put in the time, should you? I've got win51ip.SP2 and win51ip.SP3 now in my "safe" WinXP Pro SP3 source disk)

3) IE7 is still an issue to integrate. Best to do a manual install after OS install?

Thanks for any replies!

1) its always a good idea to keep an unmodified "safe" source as this would be the copy state that you would want to go back to in the unfortunate event that you discover something wrong in your current nlited install/copy. also, keeping a safe copy is a good idea when the time comes that hotfixes, and updates begin to pileup and you want to make a new installer with updated files.

2) yes, SP integration works best if you have a clean copy with only the previous SP that has no other addons...

3) from my experience IE7 + KB947864 integration went smoothly for me, no problems (i used the original files from windows download servers, not the addons). as of today, no updates needed when i checked windowsupdate.

:thumbup hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...