Install vista with default programs directory at D:\Program Files\

maverick02

• 5 months later...
Hello Guys :hello:

I, too, wondered how to set alternative directory paths. Specifically, I want the \ProgramData and the \Users folders to be on partitions different from C:\

The reason is simple:

a ) I want to keep the Windows drive clean

b ) I want to do an easy back-up with all relevant data of \user (documents as well as application settings), this becomes more difficult if I have the settings in C:\ but the Documents moved via the explorer

In the tool nLite (for Win XP), there has been the possibility to set paths for "Documents and Settings", "Program Files", and "Temp". Via google I have seen that there might be some possibilities to move the folder using WAIK oder manual registry edits. But I would greatly appreciate a vLite-integrated solution, simply because it would be easier for me as non-it-pro and because it would cause less problems if from the beginning of the setup, Windows itself uses the alternate \ProgramData and \Users folders.

Thanks for the work done so far with developing vLite and please, please try to integrate an option to change paths into the next version.

Thanks a lot!

Herg

about \users and \progradata use this link in this forum:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=102804

It was solved via the autounattend.xml file.

about program files - I'm searching for a similar solution - clean and efficient...

Any suggestion?

Thank you for the hint. I'm going to try this next time.

On the program files folder, I have no idea. I only remember that there are two of them ("Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)").

Hope you find a solution!

Kind regards, Herg