64bit vs 32bit

Octopuss

I wanted to try something different and also check whether it'd work this time or not. Plus was curious how the performance would be after letting vLite rape all the rubbish in default installation...

I wouldn't care about the looks THAT much if only the menus weren't completely different and all the small but very useful things gone...

Impossible to tell. Loads of stuff, minor in terms of functionality though. It's mostly that kind of things nLite offers under Tweaks section. Maybe vLite will have it some time in future, too. Until then I will just keep watching for news.

Impossible to tell. Loads of stuff, minor in terms of functionality though. It's mostly that kind of things nLite offers under Tweaks section. Maybe vLite will have it some time in future, too. Until then I will just keep watching for news.

yeah you have to wait, this is in the to do list. it's just a matter of time.

You can do a lot of tweak using some registry file available in tweak section

Edited by hannubys

"64-bit versions of Windows do not support 16-bit components, 16-bit processes, or 16-bit applications"

The article only says that this applies to Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP Pro. Can anyone confirm whether the same is true in Vista? And if it is, is there any good workaround? (I've got some old 16 bit games I still like.)

Also, I've read some mixed reports on driver compatability and don't know which to believe. I've seen some places saying that it's hard to get device drivers that work with 64-bit Vista, and other places saying that there used to be a lot of driver incompatability problems with the 64-bit versions of XP, but that those problems went away with 64-bit Vista. How likely is it that I'd have problems with my existing printer or graphics tablet if I bought my new computer with Vista Home Premium 64-bit?

[ Edit: ]

OK, I've found the answer to at least one of my own questions. My graphics tablet is supported. :D I found the Vista 64-bit driver for it on Wacom's site. My other questions remain. How likely is it that I'll run into other driver incompatability problems? And is there a way to keep my 16-bit applications?

Edited by Niwashi

If you are running some mainstream hardware chances are you will not have any problem getting drivers for your hw.

i've used x64 for last 5+ years and never really had any problems. Sure it can take a bit time to get used to, but lol, its not like anything that adjusting to linux in order to get x64bit. And personally, Windows xp pro x64bit kicks vista's ultimate 64bit a** anyday.

Vista isnt worth it just to get directX 10/10.1.

There's no 16 bit support. However, if your prime use for 16bit is to play old games, there's like two billion alternatives to doing that, then to just sticking with 16bit supporiting os. I myself enjoy 8 bit games, via emulators that run the games way better then just the poor 16 bit support that exists in 32bit xp/2000. Really old games was made for really old hardware. If you feel like not learning something new, stick with 32bit.

If you want to get ahead, and stay current with hardware and get updated, go 64bit today.

If you are running some mainstream hardware chances are you will not have any problem getting drivers for your hw.
I think all my hardware is fairly mainstream stuff. What's more, I'm buying a new PC rather than upgrading my old one, so all the internal hardware will be new. My main external hardware is my printer and graphics tablet and I've already checked that the later is supported. I suppose the worst case scenario if my printer isn't supported is that instead of getting rid of my old computer once I have its replacement, I relegate the old one to acting as a print server while I primarily use the new PC.
And personally, Windows xp pro x64bit kicks vista's ultimate 64bit a** anyday.

Vista isnt worth it just to get directX 10/10.1.

I like XP Pro, but I'm a bit worried that third-party support for it may begin to wane after MS stops selling it. Moving to Vista looks like the safer bet right now (at least until Windows 7 comes out).
if your prime use for 16bit is to play old games
Yep. :)
there's like two billion alternatives to doing that, then to just sticking with 16bit supporiting os. I myself enjoy 8 bit games, via emulators that run the games way better then just the poor 16 bit support that exists in 32bit xp/2000.
All right. Looks like I'll be spending a bit of this weekend looking into emulator software.

Thanks for your help.

I'm really into old time games myself, afaik my collection is devastating huge. But understand, i love technology, and thus fiddling and toying with it.

Staying still is not of my strenghts.. =( I was on Vista x64 here for awhile, been there a few times, but HP has decided to not produce a driver for either my scanner or my printer. But the drivers exist for x64 xp, kinda weird. Also i have tried using the AMD SATA controller driver for Vista on x64 and it works just fine.

Just great. But then again, i recently nlited my new x64xp and the refreshing speed of booting time, under 10 seconds, and no problems getting 65536 tcp/ip half open connections, and the usb hz patch provided by nlite graciously. It's just kick a**.

When vista matures, and im hoping it will of course, ill be there. But atm, i was constantly finding myself actually *missing* features and perks that i could bring to the os with the lovely nlite. And as i recently managed to properly getting rid of firewall on x64 and still keeping LAN support, its just awesome. Getting close to 10 processes at 1st boot and about 70mb memory usage with vista theme enabled is just way out of vista's capability atm.

And ram isnt a problem, but i love seeing how low system latency can go. get hold of DPC latency checker, and start trying to make really lite xp with vista, and check that latency. How low u can go on that, is my goal. Currently at well below 100 (peak) there and everything running, including burning dvd, running vmware etc.

Guest Mirey86

I understand that this message is rather old...

BUT!! It's really very intresting,thanks for it. :rolleyes: