Window XP cannot fully shut down.. Pls help~~

orange6565

I have 2 questions want to ask for Pro,

After i setting the nlite and install in my pc i hv face 2 problem.

1. under the start button the bar was become white color, and how to change back to normal win xp color.

2. when i shut down the PC . it cannot fully shut down. it come out a message " It is safe to turn off your computer" and it cannot auto fully shut down. :blushing:

Hope any Pro can help me...TQ

~.~ :thumbup

Preparation step that may not be needed but it's better to make it anyway just in case:

1. Double click on My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > View and choose "Show hidden files and folders" > Apply > OK.

2. Go to your Windows directory and find INF folder. Open it and find HAL.PNF. Delete HAL.PNF (NOT HAL.INF!!!).

Steps to change the HAL:

1. Right click on My Computer and choos Properties.

2. Choose Hardware tab and press Device Manager.

3. Find Computer and press "+".

4. You probably have "Standard Computer" there. Click on it with right button of your mouse and choose "Update Driver...".

5. Tick on "Install from a list of specific location (Advanced)" > Next.

6. Tick "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install." > Next.

7. That one you choose yourself - it depends on your hardware. ON modern computers it should be ACPI Uniprocessor or ACPI Multiprocessor. > Next. That will install new HAL and require to reboot. After rebooting all hardware will be re-detected again.

If you have this behaviour in virtual machine you probably won't change the HAL - read documentation of your virtual machine first to find out if it supports ACPI functions.

Preparation step that may not be needed but it's better to make it anyway just in case:

1. Double click on My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > View and choose "Show hidden files and folders" > Apply > OK.

2. Go to your Windows directory and find INF folder. Open it and find HAL.PNF. Delete HAL.PNF (NOT HAL.INF!!!).

Steps to change the HAL:

1. Right click on My Computer and choos Properties.

2. Choose Hardware tab and press Device Manager.

3. Find Computer and press "+".

4. You probably have "Standard Computer" there. Click on it with right button of your mouse and choose "Update Driver...".

5. Tick on "Install from a list of specific location (Advanced)" > Next.

6. Tick "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install." > Next.

7. That one you choose yourself - it depends on your hardware. ON modern computers it should be ACPI Uniprocessor or ACPI Multiprocessor. > Next. That will install new HAL and require to reboot. After rebooting all hardware will be re-detected again.

If you have this behaviour in virtual machine you probably won't change the HAL - read documentation of your virtual machine first to find out if it supports ACPI functions.

thks for u help. i will try it .

another question is my start button and the task bar the color not original win xp color. and i dunno how to set back as win xp style. hope u understand my questions.

thks :thumbup

Colors: You probably have Windows Classic Theme:

-Right click in an empty display field > Properties > Appearance > Select Windows XP Style in the upper dropdown box

Oleg_II's instructions are excellent but it is not normal that you get the Standard PC HAL, and upgrading the HAL after installatiom may cause trouble.

-Make sure ACPI and APIC are enabled in your BIOS (if they are available as option)

-Old PCs may not support ACPI and/or APIC

-Choose nLite > Unattended > General > Computer type: Automatic

-Check i386\WinNT.sif and remove the ComputerType entry under [unattended]

-Change HALs only for special situations and if you know what they and what you are doing