Vista 64 Sp1 DVD that will boot with 4GB Memory installed?

mjdalpee

Long story short, Vista is made for new hardware and as such otherwise perfectly working hardware will not function with it.

I have a decade old HP 3300c scanner, which works flawlessly under any new, hot linux distro. But there will not be a driver for it under vista.

If you can't sell enough stuff, i guess you have to force customers into it. And people go thinking, ok so if it doesnt work under vista, then it can't be good enough for me..

The APIs and imaging subsystem have changed, to a point where vendors writing drivers for 10 year old hardware originally designed for Win9x and *maybe* Win2K cannot honestly be expected to (at their cost) write a Vista driver and still consider it fiscally responsible for the bottom line and for shareholders.

True, if cost were no option (i.e. Linux drivers) I'd expect vendors to write drivers ad nauseum, but they're in it to sell hardware or software, and writing (good) drivers takes time, money, and dev cycles better spent on product development. As long as vendors are writing Windows drivers, there will be a cut off point.

Long story short, Vista is made for new hardware and as such otherwise perfectly working hardware will not function with it.

I have a decade old HP 3300c scanner, which works flawlessly under any new, hot linux distro. But there will not be a driver for it under vista.

If you can't sell enough stuff, i guess you have to force customers into it. And people go thinking, ok so if it doesnt work under vista, then it can't be good enough for me..

The APIs and imaging subsystem have changed, to a point where vendors writing drivers for 10 year old hardware originally designed for Win9x and *maybe* Win2K cannot honestly be expected to (at their cost) write a Vista driver and still consider it fiscally responsible for the bottom line and for shareholders.

True, if cost were no option (i.e. Linux drivers) I'd expect vendors to write drivers ad nauseum, but they're in it to sell hardware or software, and writing (good) drivers takes time, money, and dev cycles better spent on product development. As long as vendors are writing Windows drivers, there will be a cut off point.

I'm not saying that i disagree with it at all. In fact i actually think it's the right way to do it. And not that i'm not an nostalgic person either.

I love seeing progress and if i could choose they would go 64bit all the way with vista, but at least 64bit popularity is increasing, but it could have gone faster. I don't really see much point with a 32bit version of vista, unless you vlite it away ;)

Anyway, on topic, i'd try to set timings to manual, i believe i have said that in about 10 posts today. =)

mount sources\boot.wim image 2 with imagex and replace system32\hal.dll with an updated pre SP1 hal.dll

- does vlite do this (replace hal.dll) when slipstreaming SP1?

if not, I would update boot.wim with the version of hal.dll specified in kb929777?

thanks

no, vLite only updates the install.wim.

You can get the Sp1 boot.wim from the WAIK. Yust copy the winpe.wim to your sources folder and rename it to boot.wim

I tried this but the install didnt start, I tried a half hearted attempt to figure out how the install was started but when I noticed

that the winpe.wim was quite abit larger than the stock one I gave up and just updated the hal.dll