HyperV win2k clients

gosh

Has anyone figured out how to use hyperV with win2k clients? I can manually install the drivers, but i get a blue screen everytime. It looks like the hyperv integration services were designed for win2k. Any idea?

-gosh

The drivers are synthetic drivers, not actual drivers, so without the Windows Driver Model update you can't use them (and W2K isn't going to get that update, it's in extended support and the package is a non-security update). The short answer is, not supported :(.

i know its not support, i just want to know if there's a way to get it working. if you look at the inf it says minversion 2195, which is the build number for win2k, so obviously it was designed to work on win2k and at a later point they dropped the support.

Anyone got any ideas? I want to set up a win2k forest in hyperV.

i know its not support, i just want to know if there's a way to get it working. if you look at the inf it says minversion 2195, which is the build number for win2k, so obviously it was designed to work on win2k and at a later point they dropped the support.

Anyone got any ideas? I want to set up a win2k forest in hyperV.

If you've still got a beta, and not the RC bits, you can try to copy the contents of the integration ISO's driver structure into \system32\drivers and update the unknown device (the VMBus driver) by pointing to \system32\drivers - I haven't run the beta in awhile, but I seem to remember something like this working on W2K...

Thanks for the reply. It occured to me i could possibly use a legacy nic? I need to research how exactly hyperv uses drivers. It was my understanding hyperv uses the drivers on the host OS, so i dont understand why it doesnt detect the nic in the guest os.

-gosh

Hyper V will use the drivers on the Host OS for Virtualization aware OS's (Currently Vista and Server 2008) older OS's like XP and 2003 will use still use legacy emulated drivers

Just to confirm: i got it working over the weekend using the legacy nic, not the normal NIC in hyperV. I was able to setup a win2k forest without any probs.

-gosh