Doesn't enter the VLK ....

squishyalt

I have tried to make 3 auto install CDs using XP Pro Corporate SP2 plus SP3 for my company's VLK licensed XP PCs.

Every time, the install asks me for the XP License key - even though I have entered the volume license key provided to us by Microsoft into nlite.

I have attached a test file with the contents of my Last Session.ini and Last Session_u.ini files (without the actual XP license key).

What am I doing wrong?

Last_Session_Example.ini

Are you sure your key has not been blacklisted?

Quite sure. We use it every week to reimage systems. I just used it yesterday and if I input the key manually the install works just fine - but that defeats the whole purpose of an automated install, doesn't it?

possibly this is the cause?
Q: My CD key no longer works after Slipstreaming SP3:

A: Don't Slipstream XP SP3 from a PC running Vista or Server 2008. Windows XP GOLD/SP0/RTM, SP1, SP3 and Server 2003 are all confirmed to work properly

http://www.msfn.org/board/Windows-XP-SP3-FAQ-t117175.html

I used an XP Pro SP2 PC.

And, the key works just fine if I type it in. It's nlite that is failing to enter it automatically - whether that is my fault somehow is my question.

nLite is not to be used in a business environment.
5. nLite is free for personal use only, you cannot use it for any company or business purposes at this time.

OK. We won't use it.

That doesn't change the fact that nlite has a problem here. I am reasonably sure that nlite didn't detect that it was being used by a "business" and simply refused to work.

nLite is not to be used in a business environment.
5. nLite is free for personal use only, you cannot use it for any company or business purposes at this time.

OK. We won't use it.

That doesn't change the fact that nlite has a problem here. I am reasonably sure that nlite didn't detect that it was being used by a "business" and simply refused to work.

That does bring up a question though.... Just why is nlite not available for business use? What do the nlite authors have against businesses or the people that work in them?

That does bring up a question though.... Just why is nlite not available for business use? What do the nlite authors have against businesses or the people that work in them?

i cant really speak for Nuhi so dont take this as an official response but my understanding is its just to keep the windows EULA and the nlite license from conflicting. if you make modifications to your own personal copy thats between you and MS but if you modify a companies windows install with nlite and they require support from MS, MS could refuse to support them because of nlites modifications. if nlite 'allowed' corporate use they could be held liable for damages.

Example:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=948343#method2 (concerning Vlite but its the same situation)

now thats far from an official response but you get the idea.

i cant really speak for Nuhi so dont take this as an official response but my understanding is its just to keep the windows EULA and the nlite license from conflicting. if you make modifications to your own personal copy thats between you and MS but if you modify a companies windows install with nlite and they require support from MS, MS could refuse to support them because of nlites modifications. if nlite 'allowed' corporate use they could be held liable for damages.

Example:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=948343#method2 (concerning Vlite but its the same situation)

now thats far from an official response but you get the idea.

It would seem a simple thing to me to add a "use at your own risk...by using nlite you assume all risk of data loss or loss of support....etc....blah, blah,blah...."-type clause and let whomever use this wonderful application wherever they wished.

Just a thought.