Windows XP SP3 FAQ

PC_LOAD_LETTER

Q: Where can i download it and which version should i download?

A: Depends on how many machines you will be updating.

Q: What Service pack level do I need to install SP3?

A. XP SP1a or greater.

Q: What Service pack level do I need to slipstream SP3?

A. XP SP1a or greater for the OS you will be executing the slipstream process under. The Source/Destination OS can be any SP level (though most recommend that SP3 only be slipstreamed into SP0/GOLD/RTM Source.

Q: Where is the x64 version?

A: Windows Xp x64 edition is based off the Server 2003 x64 kernel. This is not the service pack you are looking for. For the latest x64 SP3 info try the x64 forum

Q: Where is the XP MCE version?

A: At the time of this post, Windows XP MCE edition has yet to be released. This is not the service pack you are looking for. For the latest MCE SP3 info try the MCE forum

Q: Is IE7 included in SP3?

A: No IE7 is NOT included as part of SP3. however, you should be aware that if you have IE7 Installed at the time SP3 is applied,you will not be able to revert to IE6 without uninstalling SP3 first.

Q: Is Windows Media Player 10/11 included in SP3?

A: No WMP11 is NOT included as part of SP3. If you slipstream SP3 into a XP GOLD/SP0/RTM Source, you will have WMP9. you can get WMP11 through WU/MU but WMP10 will not be offered as an option. If you want WMP10, you can get it here.

Q: 3rd Party themes dont work after installing SP3:

A: You need to repatch your UXtheme.dll see this thread: SP3 UX theme patcher

Q: I had the Windows Firewall service set to disabled before SP3 and now I cant VNC to a machine after installing SP3.

A: SP3 sets the Windows firewall Service to Automatic during install. before you restart after installing SP3, be sure to re disable it.

Q: Since installing SP3 I cant move the IE address bar to the taskbar.

A: Yes that feature has been removed. This Issue is being discussed here.

Q: My CD key no longer works after Slipstreaming SP3:

A: Don't Slipstream XP SP3 from a PC running Vista or Server 2008. Windows XP GOLD/SP0/RTM, SP1, SP3 and Server 2003 are all confirmed to work properly

Q: Were can i get more information about whats in SP3?

A: Windows XP Service Pack 3 Overview

Edited by geek
updated links to SP1a

if you have IE7 Installed at the time SP3 is applied,you will not be able to revert to IE6 without installing SP3 first.

I think you should rephrase this so it makes sense. :no: Then you can delete my (this) post as well ;) .

I think the idea is

IE7 then SP3= no going back to IE6.

(IE6) SP3 then IE7= possible to roll back to IE6.

• 1 month later...