Long startup boot time

oskingen

One more thing. Is it safe to remove the Layout.ini, all *.bin, all *.trx and all *.db files in the Prefetch folder ?

Yes. They will be rebuilt automatically if needed.

The prefetch option is a nice thing, as it allows frequently used programs to load faster, but to do that they have to be loaded at some point. So they are loaded during startup, bogging down boot time. Though the difference in your case was a bit too extreme, must've been a few broken files in there.

According to what I am seeing, this is almost all being caused by disk I/O in the system process (the kernel) - also, you have !!!2012!!! threads in the System process during boot (I have a Vista Ultimate box that runs under 100!!! threads here), so that is definitely not normal. I think we need to start investigating drivers, including antivirus, or firewall, or antispyware, or any other software packages (including hardware drivers) to see what could be causing 1) all of that disk I/O, mostly reads, from the System (kernel) process and 2) why the heck you have so darn many System threads. That is most certainly NOT normal.

According to what I am seeing, this is almost all being caused by disk I/O in the system process (the kernel) - also, you have !!!2012!!! threads in the System process during boot (I have a Vista Ultimate box that runs under 100!!! threads here), so that is definitely not normal. I think we need to start investigating drivers, including antivirus, or firewall, or antispyware, or any other software packages (including hardware drivers) to see what could be causing 1) all of that disk I/O, mostly reads, from the System (kernel) process and 2) why the heck you have so darn many System threads. That is most certainly NOT normal.

I really don't know. I have removed all drivers in vlite. i added 3 for ethernet, wifi, ati. I use kaspersky internet security 7. As you said i can confirm that my LED or light for hard drive is always ON during startup. I don't use any spyware, firewall third application.

List of my sofware: VS2008, Office 2007, Tune Up, CCleaner, Firefox, Logmein, Messenger, Vista Codec Package, Winrar, EyeBeam, Virtual Clone Drive, Flashget, Adobe acrobat, Skype

Edited by hannubys