Uninstalling XPize 4.7 beta 2 does not revert back SOME changes

jfty.009260

Well I tried to uninstall XPize beta 2 + XPize Darkside 2.1 to see if its promise of full system file restore would hold true. After rebooting, I noticed that some wizards, such as the native Zip Extractor, were still XPized. I read in this board that deleting the backup/uninstaller during uninstall would delete the backed up original Windows XP system files. When I uninstalled XPize beta 2 and XPize Darkside 2.1, I think that I did delete them since I just thought they were clutter. I don't really understand why such an important step was not made clear to the users (seeing as there are people here who have same problems as me).

To lessen cases such as this, I'd like to suggest to make the dialog regarding deletion of backed up data more emphasized since I tried to read it and didn't even understand it well. Another thing would be for the author(s) of XPize to make a program that would undo the changes of XPize by replacing the XPized files with the original Windows files. This would be absolutely helpful for people who just screwed up their systems (like me :hello:). It would also be nice if, when Microsoft updates system files (do they do that? :unsure:), a repository of previous versions of system files would be available.

Now what do I do to solve my problem? Will inserting the XP installation disk and getting back the files from the CD to my PC be an option? :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently, I found these files residing in my WINDOWS folder (usually C:\WINDOWS):

XPizeSettings.Windows XP.dat

RestoreXPize.txt

I assume this may be the key to restoring my XPized stuff back to normal?

If so, could someone upload the backed up files (The txt file did say something about the directory "C:\WINDOWS\XPize\Backup") made by XPize somewhere? Thanks.

hi...

you have the backup of your file at WINDOWS\XPize ... it's a hidden folder... if you deleted this folder so... the only way you can get back your files is restoring them from your xp cd by expanding them one by one... but before restoring it make sure the version on your computer is not more recent then the one you have in you cd (for exemple if you have made a microsoft update...)

for recovering files from cd you have to take the file from i386 and extract it for exemple if you need shell32.dll take shell32.dl_ from the cd and type this command in cmd "expand shell32.dl_ shell32.dll" you will extract your file like that... and then erase the xpized file... for erasing the used files use unlocker or try to access your files from an other windows like a bootable cd windows (you can make a bootable windows with UBCD http://www.ubcd4win.com/ easely)

i don't knwo the complete list of the xpized files... i think you can find it and if not... the files are listed in detailed install or make an install and look to the backed up file...

or faster solution, install an other xp on a virtual machine or in your machine install xpize and get backup files from win\xpize ... don't forget tocheck the version of the backed file comparing to your version...

cheers ;)

Thank you very much. Hmm...how would I ensure that all those files from the CD (from where I'm gonna get back the original system files) are the same version as the one in my computer (the XPized stuff)? I don't really know if Windows Update updated those files...would it (Windows Update) automatically alert me if it finds more recent versions of the files available for download?

Would simply copying the files from another computer running the same OS as this work?