Reinstall pc with northon ghost image

koden

I have a ghost image of my pc. It's size is 6 GB.

It's stored on my USB disk.

Now my pc is gone down and I would like to reinstall with my norton ghost image file.

I can't boot from the usb drive, so I made a quick XP install on the pc and installed Norton Ghost.

In norton ghost i choose restore a drive.

But I get an error that says I can't restore C drive because windows is running.

Can I do it another way or how can I install this image back??

Thanks...

I think that the easy way is to make a floppy that can boot the image from the USB disk.

Or a boot CD that can get the image from the usb disk.

But I can't find any instructions on that in the symantec support.

I found this: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sunse...3e?OpenDocument

But a "how to do" instruction would help me a lot...

My problem is that I'm not very good in DOS mode :-)

Iceman: What you say is.....

Make a boot CD incl. ghost.exe

When I boot on this CD it will aut. find my ghost image on the USB disk or do I have to make some dos commands in a prompt... ??

Maybe I can get you to write down how I make this boot CD so that it can get my image file from the USB disk ?? :whistle:

Edited by koden

Well there is this for Windows PE 2: http://www.msfn.org/board/GUIDE-Creating-W...ym-t101383.html

See BartPE's site for building a BartPE cd with ghost.

and it all depends upon how you create your cd whether you have to type anything in or browse to your image. Depending upon what version of ghost you have there may be a boot disk creator application to create bootable floppy sets or a bootable ISO containing ghost also.

It’s been awhile since I did it. But, when you boot from the floppy an app (ghost.exe) should start up if not just call the ghost.exe file. To do this just go to the floppy drive if your not already there. Normally A: by typing “a:” then type “ghost.exe” if ghost.exe is in a folder then you have to type “folder/ghost.exe” and when I say folder I mean the name of the folder not the word folder. From there you just follow the steps. Here are the steps I would use to restore from USB. I believe my Ghost boot disk’s are from Ghost 2003. So might be a little different for you. I had to have 2 disk’s.

Insert USB and Floppy disk 1, then boot the computer up.

1. Enter choice: 1 (this computer was started from a ghost boot disk)

2. Insert “Ghost boot disk 2” when prompted

3. select Local>Disk>from image

4. At dropdown box select “usb drive”

5. Select “Your image.GHO” file

a. Select drive 1 if there is the option of 2 drives

b. Click “ok”

c. Click “ok”

d. Click “yes”

e. Restart computer when clone is completed successfully

Thanks smiley...

I can't try it before next week.

But i will give back an answer how it went out :-)

I'm not sure what version of Ghost you used, but I have used this method for images created using Ghost 2003 with much success. This method would also require that the image be broken into pieces less than 4.7GB each (if using DVD media), as a single file larger than that will not fit onto a single DVD.

By using the instructions posted on this page: http://nightowl.radified.com/bootcd/started.html , you should be able to create an image file to use as the boot source of a CD/DVD which will contain the Ghost Image file you wish to use. If you image spans mulitple files, just burn each to CD using the same method.

(As I have completed the initial steps already, if you PM me I may be able to send along a finished copy of the boot image).