Need help to do network install of 98 SE

douche

:blink: TRUELY- :blushing:SORRY with previous post as should not have been so quick to type without checkin' with superiors first!!! :rolleyes: Help alway's at http://www.mdgx.com ...Microsoft Technet can help with floppy install...re-direct to right road to follow :ph34r: Check Shareware Sites as Net setup through them is usually easiest though "buggy".List computer's stat's and others can help with set up too. :thumbup thydreamwalker

Edited by thydreamwalker

you can download a symantec ghost file,and setup it.

or download win98's iso from the internet,there are many isos about win98

I'm NOT too familiar with Ghost, how does that work? I can't see how an iso will help me, save for Ghost. Like i said before, this PC does NOT have an Operating System, or CD drive.

also Dos and net helpers depending on your current network setup and ISP provider....*also.... rolleyes.gif...Check Shareware Sites as Net setup through them is usually easiest though "buggy"

Huh? What are"net helpers?" What Shareware sites provide net setup of 98 SE? Also, http://www.mdgx.com is mostly a site with tweaks, NOT how to setup 98 SE via a network. The PC i'm tryin' to do a network setup of 98SE on is pretty old: IBM Personal Computer, the exact model name is worn out on it, but it's a Pentium 90mhz w/16 MB Ram (it originally came with a token ring card :o) I got rid of it, and 'i'm now using a 3Com 3C905-TX.

Edited by douche

Then copy the \Win98 directory to C:\Win98. Run C:\Win98\Setup.exe

But the Hard disk on this PC is just 500 MB. Isn't there a way to run the setup from the share? By typing some command in DOS, maybe?

500 MB is enough. The \Win98 folder is 110 MB, and you need 140-255 MB for Windows. (On a FAT32 partition). After you have installed, you can delete \Win98, of course.

I don't know if W98 will install from a network share. You can mount a share (net use X: \\server\share) but W98 reboots several times, in which case it looses it's source path.

BTW, did you consider installing W95? It fits better on your hardware.

Actually, the /WIN98 folder is 173 MB on my 98 SE CD. I don't understand why 98SE couldn't install from a network share. Doesn't the XP installer reboot (at least once) during setup? I recall the 98SE setup reboots about 3 times total. Win 95 would work better, but i need to add a PCI USB controller (for USB ports) and i believe W95 does NOT support this, am i right? Also, what command do i use to connect to the share from DOS? And would i just use the COPY command to copy it on the hard disk?

Edited by douche

Actually, the /WIN98 folder is 173 MB on my 98 SE CD.
It's 110MB on mine. Maybe you also counted the (unnessesairy) Tour folder?
I don't understand why 98SE couldn't install from a network share. Doesn't the XP installer reboot (at least once) during setup?
Yes it does. XP starts creating a local copy of the install files, and then reboots. I didn't say W98 will not install from a network share, actually I don't know. You can try if you want.
Win 95 would work better, but i need to add a PCI USB controller (for USB ports) and i believe W95 does NOT support this, am i right?
Win95 OSR2 supports USB when you install the USB supplement. But it's a pain in the a** to find drivers which support W95. What kind of hardware do you want to connect?
Also, what command do i use to connect to the share from DOS? And would i just use the COPY command to copy it on the hard disk?
net use X: \\server\share will create a drive X:, which points to \\server\share. Server can be an ip address. Copy is fine. The command sequence could be:

C:
cd \
mkdir Win98
cd Win98
net use X: \\server\share
copy X:\Win98\*.*

Isn't it possible to boot from the network directly, instead of using a floppy?
Yes, that's possible, if you have a networkcard supporting this, and a bios which can cooperate with this, and a bootserver. Edited by Mijzelf

It's 110MB on mine. Maybe you also counted the (unnessesairy) Tour folder?

If i discount the Tour subfolder it's 156 MB, and it's 121 MB if i discount ALL subfolders (i.e. Ols & Tour.)

Yes it does. XP starts creating a local copy of the install files, and then reboots. I didn't say W98 will not install from a network share, actually I don't know. You can try if you want.

I'm hoping it will work.

Win95 OSR2 supports USB when you install the USB supplement. But it's a pain in the a** to find drivers which support W95. What kind of hardware do you want to connect?

As i said before, a PCI add-on card w/USB ports. Like this, if drivers are the only issue, all i need is one that actually has them for Win 95, then...

net use X: \\server\share will create a drive X:, which points to \\server\share. Server can be an ip address. Copy is fine. The command sequence could be:

C:
cd \
mkdir Win98
cd Win98
net use X: \\server\share
copy X:\Win98\*.*

Do you mean map a drive? And can it be a different letter besides X? Also, what does "*.*" mean? Shouldn't i put C:\ there instead?

Yes, that's possible, if you have a networkcard supporting this, and a bios which can cooperate with this, and a bootserver.

Unfortunately, i think i have NONE of the above, especially a BIOS that works with that. Could a BIOS update add this ability? BTW, what is a bootserver?

Yes, that's possible, if you have a networkcard supporting this, and a bios which can cooperate with this, and a bootserver.

I thought supporting PCI cards can actually add support to the BIOS. I've seen cards that seem to add BIOS features not usually available.

Setting up the bootserver is probably the tough part.

Also, what does "*.*" mean? Shouldn't i put C:\ there instead?

"*.*" means "all files in the folder. You don't need to add "C:\", since copying to the current folder (in this case "C:\Win98") is the default behavior.

incidentally, you might also add:

sys c:

To make sure your HDD becomes bootable (necessary prior to Win98 installation).

To that end, you might also want to make sure the partition you're installing on is active, although that is normally the case if you had any other OS previously installed there.

As i said before, a PCI add-on card w/USB ports. Like this, if drivers are the only issue, all i need is one that actually has them for Win 95, then...
I didn't mean the USB card. AFAIK it will work, though only at USB 1.1 speed. I meant the hardware you want to plug in.
Do you mean map a drive? And can it be a different letter besides X?

Yes and yes, as long as the letter is not alreay in use.

Unfortunately, i think i have NONE of the above, especially a BIOS that works with that. Could a BIOS update add this ability? BTW, what is a bootserver?
I think this whole option is beyond your needs. The possibility is usually used to create thin clients without harddisk, that get their OS from a bootserver, to centralize and simplyfy the maintanance. It's much to complex to set it up for installing an OS only. A bootserver is a computer which uploads an OS to a client which asks for that.