Computer can't hibernate

TheRedFox

There should be a file on your compaq restore cd to rebuild the hibernation file. Look on the compaq website for the specific file name. On Gateway systems the file is called chks2d.exe If not, then you have to do a clean install.

http://www.mdgx.com/files/Q257360.EXE

This file won't fix your problem, but it's helpful to have when your computer won't come out of standby.

Edited by blackwire

There are some utility programs that also have options for hybernate and suspend you could try if they are able to make your computer hybernate.

An example is shutdowntray.

It allowed me to suspend my computer properly while my computer used to hang before.

http://www.victechsoftware.com/shutdowntray.html

If you would mean suspend instead of hybernate there would be a fairly logical exlanation that your computer no longer is able to suspend.

When your computer goes to suspend the main part of your power supply and most of the hard ware in your computer shuts down.

only the +5VSB output in your computers powersupply still supplies power to your memory and the power switch

If you would add more memeory the +5VSB may not be able to give enough power to your mememory for it to operate properly this causes your computer to not wake up properly from suspend.

Windows detects this and will disable the suspend function to prevent accidental data loss.

reinstalling the drivers for the ACPI (under control panel /system/systemdevices)

could also bring back the hybernate function.

You could do this by removing the device and then use add new hardware function to reinstall the drivers.

This should put the hybernate function back in the shutdown menu if your bios supports it.

My laptop, (a PII/266 Siemens) uses a dedicated partition for hybernating. The partition must be as big as the internal memory. When I should increase the memory (which is impossible, since it's full) I should have to repartition the disk.

I fixed this problem. incase anyone is interested, I inserted my quick restore cd, and there was a folder that said HIBERNATION in caps or some such thing, and inside there were three files "Phdisk.exe," "autoexec.bat," and a readme. the readme told how to make a bootable disk that allowed me to change the size of the hibernation file. it gave the necessary size based on my RAM, as well. so yeah. Hibernation has been fixed!