XP Sp2 - windows update refuses to install updates

sk00ba

Hi,

I'm a newbie to nLite but thought it looked fairly straight forward and managed to create a trimmed down version of XP by following instructions from this forum. However when I run windows update after installing, the updates download ok but will not install automatically. I have BITS installed and running and the update service. I can manually install the updates but there are about 90 of them!!

Looking through the window update log the only clue I can get to what is going wrong is in the following 2 entries:

2008-04-26 17:10:23:843 984 48c Agent WARNING: LoadLibrary failed for srclient.dll with hr:8007007e

2008-04-26 17:10:23:843 984 48c Service WARNING: GetUserTokenFromSessionId failed with error 800704dd for session 0

Was just wondering if anyone else had come across the same problem. I searched the forum but couldn't find any info.

I've attached my ini file.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks.

Last_Session__2008.04.25_18.31.50_.ini

• 4 months later...

I had similar problem recently with a restrictive unattended set, automatic updates didn't work and manually only downloaded but not installed.

I couldn't find a solution out there and after long try and error test I found it worked enabling Logon Notifications.

Try and tell us.

Edited by strel

Because there was no response and I was looking for a solution to this problem in the forums a few days ago with no results.

srclient.dll is in my actual unattended set with logon notifications installed. If you are refering to my previous set, then I don't know, but the only difference between the 2 sets is logon notifications.

So, from my inexpert point of view, if it is confirmed that logon notifications is necessary for win update to install manual update downloaded files and to work automatic updates, it could be worthwhile to indicate it in the component window legend

i thoguht all logon notifications does is notify the system which user logs on? i think im wrong... but it doesnt make sense to me that windows update would require such thing... it requires event viewer, bits and automatic updates services... But then again microsoft never made sensen to me

Maybe an issue of adminitrative rights to install updates, is the only thing that comes to my mind.

If you have or had the same experience, tell us.

Edited by strel