Sound driver went "poof"

kageyfna

I come home from work today to find myself with no sound. After a bit of investigation windows is reading the sound driver as not installed. I've attempted two time to re-install it from the CD and even downloaded the latest drivers from realtec.

Every time I install, reboot, and up pops the little balloon "Unknown device CIF Single Chip" I've check the BIOS settings as this is on board sound and it is enabled. Any help is appreciated.

Windows XP

Asus A8N-SLI mobo

on board sound realtec AC'97

im pretty clueless but the only thing i could think is you could roll back your system to a previous date that is known to work in system restore?

sorta sounds like your actual onboard sound went bad but idk...

im pretty clueless but the only thing i could think is you could roll back your system to a previous date that is known to work in system restore?

sorta sounds like your actual onboard sound went bad but idk...

Thanks for the suggestion, totally forgot about system restore. Unfortunately I think you may be right as that did not fix it :(.

Edit:

OK now I'm really stumped...

I pulled an old sound card from my closet(read: lobotomized) PC and installed it. Booted up and got ready to install drivers and now I have the little speaker icon. Switch wires back to on board sound and it's working again.

Edited by kageyfna