Changing 'Docs & Settings' name?

terrypin

Instead of using my own name, the suppliers of my new PC have set up XP Pro with the name 'Admin'. So my data is currently in

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents.

How can I change 'Admin' to 'Terry' please?

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Using "admin", you create a new account named "Terry", then log on as Terry, then copy/paste Admin's Documents to Terry's Documents, then erase them from Admin's documents. Do not "move" nor "Cut&Paste", the documents have to be duplicated to get different rights (which is not really a problem here as I suppose your new account would have admin rights as well).

that willl get the documents into the new user but will not preserve any registry settings/user prefs/etc

1. create 2 new users: (temp and Terry)
    My Computer -> Right Click -> Manage -> System Tools -> Local Users and Groups -> Action -> New User.
    add both users to the administrators group.
  2. Logout and login as Terry (not switch user)
  3. Logout and login as temp (not switch user)
  4. My Computer -> Right Click -> Properties -> Advanced -> User Profiles -> Settings
    find MACHINENAME\admin.
  5. if the profile is under a couple hundred megs, proceed otherwise skip down to step 6
    click it and select "Copy To..." browse to in "C:\Documents and Settings\Terry"
  6. If the profile is huge, goto c:\documents and settings\admin\... and move the large files to c:\documents and settings\terry\... before doing step 5
  7. Log out and login as Terry.
    goto My Computer -> Right Click -> Properties -> Advanced -> User Profiles -> Settings and clean up the leftover profiles
    then My Computer -> Right Click -> Manage -> System Tools -> Local Users and Groups -> delete leftover accounts. if delete is not available, you can disable the account instead.

Thanks a lot Geek, those detailed instructions worked perfectly. I would have got it wrong at some stage or other without them!

With that done, my next step is to decide on my file organisation structure, and I'd much appreciate advice from anyone on that too. But I'll raise it as a separate thread, 'Organising My Documents?'

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK