How to add a SATA driver package to Windows XP pro SP2

Alpha2k

Hello all, I am new to this forums. I am however not new to pc's, and such, so I know for example what slipstreaming is :).

What I want to do is put serial ata drivers in a slipstream cd, referable that will work with any board/chipset, or maybe a generic one.

I have a sata driver package I downloaded, and I will probably use nlite to make the cd, but I was wondering, the driver package I have has folders, and an ini file in the root, so I was wondering how I would put that into nlite to have the driver package, or maybe somone else knows a better way than I am trying and would be kind enough to help me out.

Basically in short I want to have a generic sata driver like MS did with the cd-rom, IE: oakrom, etc.... I want to do the same thing with sata drivers so I don't have to fumble around for or look for a sata driver on the net, and windows will install with sata drivers.

Thanks you for any assistance.

What driver package did you download? BTS DriverPack, Mass Storage?

On the other hand, it's almost impossible to have a pack that will work with any board/chipset. It would need a large mass of people to contribute with drivers, testing, a centralized system for management (redundant drivers, version tracker).

A generic driver for SATA I don't think there is (at least at this moment).

The problem with generic drivers is that PC components (here, SATA controller) have different specifications (some work with RAID - different types). So a generic one would have to comply with all, resulting reduced functionality.

So if I wanted to slipstram this package in, how would I go about doing it? I realize there is no 100% perfect driver out, just wanna slipstream as much as I can into a cd for install.

I have the DP_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32_8021 , it has a main root foler and an .ini file in the root, and under the main folder it has multiple folders, with drivers in each of those folders, I'm just wondering if I can just pick the root folder and it will be ok, or do I need the specified files ??