Delay before a setup program runs

pengo

After double clicking a setup program .exe or .msi on a IBM Thinkpad T60 laptop, there will be a delay before the setup program runs. The delay can be sometimes up to 5mins. Now I don't think its antivirus, as this problem does not occur on desktops running the same AV software.

The problem occurs regardless on the size of the setup program. I've updated all the system drivers including the HDD and chipset driver.

Just wondering if anyone has come across this before? Is it particular to the IBM laptop or have you seen it before? If so how did you fix it?

Oh also, this occurs a freshly built PC (ie fresh install of Windows XP + System updates).

My google-fu is weak so I've had no much luck trying to find anything via a search.

If you have not seen this problem, offering search term suggestions on what I could search for would be just as helpful as providing a fix.

thanks

Edited by pengo

A lot of setups now come compressed to save the file host bandwidth. You could try disabling your antivirus, but on older computers the self extractors may cause a little time lapse. You seems a little long though. Try disk defrag too?

nah its unlikely as these laptops are core 2 duos, 1.8ghz and my desktop pc which is the same chip doesn't take this long. It happens on every laptop in the business. And its for exes and msi, some examples are spybot, cccleaner. They open instantly on a desktop but there is a delay on a laptop. These setup files are not big at all and even if it is the realtime virus scanning, it should not cause the delays I'm seeing. I think its something else.