Vista PC will not connect to my router

MicrosoftVistaUser

Yo, what's up?

I have Windows Vista Home Basic on my custom-built PC and when I updated my wireless driver to XPC 802.11b/g, my computer will not connect to my wireless router. I think it might be my router, or I don't know what it is at all.

Please help with the solution.

P.S.: I'm a n00b here.

You do not see any wireless networks in the cpl? Is the wireless service enabled? Is everything hunkydory in device manager?

I see like 1 to 6 wireless connections (5 are my neighbors routers, 1 is my Linksys router)

Yes

hunkydory --- what does that mean? Every device works (after the 2nd BlueScreen)

Plus, the only driver that works is my HWU54G (ZdWLAN IEEE 802.11b/g) Wireless Driver, just the other one doesn't work on the Vista Machine. It did once, and that was it.

Any solutions, like 'buy a new wireless USB card for the Vista Computer'? or others?

If so, please reply to this. Thanks for asking me these questions.

OK so you can see the wireless connection, Do you get an error when you try to connect to it? By default, Windows will automatically connect to the first available unsecured wireless connection. If there are no unsecured wireless connections, it will not attempt to connect to any of them. What happens when you try to connect to yours?

OK so you can see the wireless connection, Do you get an error when you try to connect to it? By default, Windows will automatically connect to the first available unsecured wireless connection. If there are no unsecured wireless connections, it will not attempt to connect to any of them. What happens when you try to connect to yours?

Yes; the error stately says "Windows cannot connect to SSID

However, I managed to buy a new Wireless card from Linksys Inc. for $39.99 at BestBuy, works great on my Vista machine.

Steps of how to use your new wireless card on Windows Vista any Edition:

1. Make sure the one that is only used up to Windows XP is connected to your wireless router with the default driver, go to your router's settings page

To do this step, click start and search for cmd, click on the specified program (Command Prompt)

Type in ipconfig /all, scroll up until you see the Default Gateway Address: 192.168.X.X

It will display the network cards you currently have on Windows Vista any edition (Note: the LAN Connection will be enabled after installing Vista on your PC.

However, if it doesn't detect the Ethernet Ready LAN Connection, please insert the DVD/CD of the exact driver on Windows Vista Installation startup.

Some motherboards are Vista Ready and when done installing Vista, it will detect and Install all of the motherboard drivers for you so you won't have to.

2. Go to the Wireless Tab, click on the Wireless MAC Filter, click enable the MAC Filter Option, select permit PCs that are on this list option, click on the Edit MAC Filter list

3. Enter your new wireless card MAC Address to your settings for the router (XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX) Might be found on either your new wireless card, the box it came with, or in the ipconfig /all command on the Command Prompt.

4. Save the settings, close the Dialog box, save the settings on the IE Windiow, close the page.

That's all.