Ok, Guys I really need your help with this

adrian2055

I used vista home premium for about a year on my laptop. After much frustration (and failure) of trying to get it to function decently I went back to xp for stabillity. Now I absolutely hate it!!!!! Sure XP is very stable, but I'm use to vista and at this point I would rather have vista on my laptop. Any version. I think I should be able to run at least the basic version of vista on my laptop and have it stable. The main issue that I had was with playing songs and videos. It would skip, pause freeze up while playing no matter what song or video that I played. Being a huge music lover and someone who uses their PC to watch dvds and tv shows online, that s**t won't work. It even messed up after I installed sp1. Can someone help me stablize it to where it will work for me? My pc specs are in my siggy.

I used vista home premium for about a year on my laptop. After much frustration (and failure) of trying to get it to function decently I went back to xp for stabillity. Now I absolutely hate it!!!!! Sure XP is very stable, but I'm use to vista and at this point I would rather have vista on my laptop. Any version. I think I should be able to run at least the basic version of vista on my laptop and have it stable. The main issue that I had was with playing songs and videos. It would skip, pause freeze up while playing no matter what song or video that I played. Being a huge music lover and someone who uses their PC to watch dvds and tv shows online, that s**t won't work. It even messed up after I installed sp1. Can someone help me stablize it to where it will work for me? My pc specs are in my siggy.

Real quick, do you know the speed of your ram (Mhz) and your HD's(rpms)? sounds like you are having bottle necks at one or the other. recommendations would be to check out the reliability and performance section of computer management, start a MP3 or Video and check out this section and you should see what is causing you issues

Real quick, do you know the speed of your ram (Mhz) and your HD's(rpms)? sounds like you are having bottle necks at one or the other. recommendations would be to check out the reliability and performance section of computer management, start a MP3 or Video and check out this section and you should see what is causing you issues

Offhand....no I do not :blushing: . Is there a test that I can run on xp to figure it out or do I need to re-install vista first?

Offhand....no I do not :blushing: . Is there a test that I can run on xp to figure it out or do I need to re-install vista first?

Yes, there is! Not really a test, but a piece of freeware that will be able to identify everything you'd ever want to know about your computer.

You can get System Information for Windows (SIW) from http://www.gtopala.com/ .

You can check the speed of your RAM by going to the Memory menu item and it will show you something like this:

post-1828-1207531121_thumb.png

As for the hard drive, you can go to the Storage Devices menu item, retrieve the model number, and then run a search through Google to find the speed.

post-1828-1207531226_thumb.png

post-1828-1207531309_thumb.png

Hope that helps!

Yes, there is! Not really a test, but a piece of freeware that will be able to identify everything you'd ever want to know about your computer.

You can get System Information for Windows (SIW) from http://www.gtopala.com/ .

You can check the speed of your RAM by going to the Memory menu item and it will show you something like this:

post-1828-1207531121_thumb.png

As for the hard drive, you can go to the Storage Devices menu item, retrieve the model number, and then run a search through Google to find the speed.

post-1828-1207531226_thumb.png

post-1828-1207531309_thumb.png

Hope that helps!

Thanks! That was what I needed. Here's The memory:

memqj2.png

and here's the hard drive info:

http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Fujitsu-Siemen...DE-Notebook-HDD

Yup, seems your RAM and HD are both somewhat slow. You'd definitely see a performance increase by getting an HD with a speed of 7200RPM. If your motherboard supports it, you could probably upgrade your RAM with something faster than 333MHz as well.

****, I just purchased new ram about 2 months ago. Why didn't they tell me that when I asked about upgrading to vista? ****SIGH*** I will check into the new hard drive. Those are cheap right now. I'll have to wait on the memory. I just blew $150 on the 2GB of RAM so I'll have to wait getting more. Thanks for clearing up my problems guys

****, I just purchased new ram about 2 months ago. Why didn't they tell me that when I asked about upgrading to vista? ****SIGH*** I will check into the new hard drive. Those are cheap right now. I'll have to wait on the memory. I just blew $150 on the 2GB of RAM so I'll have to wait getting more. Thanks for clearing up my problems guys

Using the same tool, check the model of your motherboard and do another search on Google. MAKE SURE that your motherboard can support memory that operates at a faster speed. If it doesn't, then the only upgrade you could really do is on the hard drive.

$150 for 2GB of RAM? Ouch. I spent about $90 on 4GB of RAM for my laptop a few months back. Another suggestion - look online for better prices. Big name stores usually put a huge mark-up on most of the items they sell.

Using the same tool, check the model of your motherboard and do another search on Google. MAKE SURE that your motherboard can support memory that operates at a faster speed. If it doesn't, then the only upgrade you could really do is on the hard drive.

$150 for 2GB of RAM? Ouch. I spent about $90 on 4GB of RAM for my laptop a few months back. Another suggestion - look online for better prices. Big name stores usually put a huge mark-up on most of the items they sell.

WOW! $90 for 4GB? That's cheap. I got mine from beatbuy and they were $75 for each 1GB Stick and I thought I got a good deal. I didn't think I could beat that. I'll look online next time. About the motherboard model. I pulled it up and It says "Chipset Model". Is that what I need to search for?

Edited by adrian2055

WOW! $90 for 4GB? That's cheap. I got mine from beatbuy and they were $75 for each 1GB Stick and I thought I got a good deal. I didn't think I could beat that. I'll look online next time. About the motherboard model. I pulled it up and It says "Chipset Model". Is that what I need to search for?

yeah computer memory is WAAY cheaper than than Best Lies 'Geek Squad' would have you believe (well actually everything is cheaper)

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.as...e=Laptop-Memory

but your gonna have to find out what type of slot you have in your motherboard and what it supports before shopping though

Check out sites like www.zipzoomfly.com, www.newegg.com, www.froogle.com. Bestbuy is ok if you have to have it that day, but for the best deals the internet is the only way to go,